Getting used to my iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bill McEnaney, May 22, 2010.

1. Bill McEnaney macrumors 6502

Hi everybody,

How long do programmers usually take to get used to an iMac? I'm perfectly at home with a Sun workstation that's running Solaris. Unfortunately, the iMac is annoying me thoroughly enough that I want my old Sunblade back. Maybe I'll fall in love with the new machine, but for now, that seems unlikely.

Bill

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Bill McEnaney thread starter macrumors 6502

Missing partitions, programs that won't run when I click on their icons, case-insensitive directory-names, not knowing the command-names of programs I install, the idea that application programs keep running, even when I'm not using them, needing to have two icons on the dock to run one program, reading slightly-confusing reports when I run df -k. I could go on, but I won't bore you. I'm perfectly happy to do everything from a command-line.

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

You can partition on Macs using Disk Utility. I'm not sure what you miss about it exactly.

And what programs don't run when you click on them?
    Also, which apps require two Dock icons to run?

Just curious about these because either you're misinterpreting things or are generalizing info based on a specific app.

What made you want to get a Mac in the first place? You shouldn't have to 'get used' to it or force yourself to like it. It's just a computer. If you are more comfy with a PC, then use it. No reason you can't be happy!!

5. Bill McEnaney thread starter macrumors 6502

FSMBP,

I'm a Solaris guy. So I usually use Sparc stations that run SunOS, the Sun Microsystems version of Unix System V. I don't use PCs.

I found some partitions I thought were missing, but still haven't noticed /var nor /tmp.

I would rather have bought another Sparc station, but a Sparc won't run the voice-over software I need for voice-over acting. So I bought a Mac. Besides, whatever computer I use, I want it to be running Unix.

PLT Scheme refused to run when I clicked on its icon. But I've solved that problem.

I'd like to know where the iMac puts a program when it installs that program automatically. Clozure Common Lisp's icon is on my dock, but the machine didn't find ccl when I ran "find / ccl*". Strangely, Finder still seemed to think the CCL compiler's name was ccl-1.5. If I build GNU software on the my Sunblade, the default place for the binaries is /usr/local/bin.

I need to get used to the Mac because I've used a Solaris box almost exclusively for the past 10 years and because I'm most comfortable at a command-line, not with a GUI. And for all I know, BSD is much different from the Unix flavors I'm used to. My new iMac is my first Mac.

I probably was misinterpreting something.

I know there's no reason I shouldn't be happy. But I'm UNHAPPY with the iMac. Maybe I'm too impatient with it and with me.

Thanks.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As you've probably figured out, Mac OS X isn't SunOS and it isn't Windows. You have to give yourself time to learn your way around and discover what things are done differently in Mac OS X.
    /var and /tmp aren't partitions; they're folders. The reason you don't see them is they're hidden, by default.

To show hidden files in Finder, enter the following two commands into a Terminal window (press enter after each line):
    defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
    killall Finder​
    Then relaunch Finder.

To hide them again, do the same thing, substituting FALSE for TRUE.

Most apps are in the /Applications folder.
    I think this is your major obstacle. For the most part, things work the way they do in Mac OS X for a reason. With a little patience and learning, you can discover not only how Mac OS X operates, but why. Then you'll be in a much better position to make an educated decision as to whether you like it or not.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1. You can make your own partitions
    2. That's not an issue with OS X. Did you buy the software? Contact software maker for support
    3. You can make Mac OS case-sensitive
    4. Use spotlight to search / launch your apps
    5. Command+Q. Apps do not "keep running" unless you want it to keep running
    6. 1 Mac OS App uses 1 icon.

8. Bill McEnaney thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup, I knew that before I bought the iMac. Two people told me that the iMac ran a version of the Berkley Standard Distribution. So I'm going to learn more about BSD.
    I sit corrected. ;)
    Thanks. I think I'll try that.
    But seemingly not the ones I've installed.
    You probably are right. But even if I'll always dislike it, I'll still need to use it. On the other hand, computer science theory interests me much more than new hardware ever will. So maybe I shouldn't care much about what machine I use if it does what I need it to do.

9. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

You can right-click a dock icon, go into the Options menu and choose "Show in Finder" and it will open a finder window with the directory open in which that app is stored.

Unfortunately thats all i can help you with ;)

10. Bill McEnaney thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I didn't buy any software for partitioning. But since /var, /tmp, etc., are folders, I was mistaken. I don't need to repartition anything.

I think I will make Mac OS case-sensitive. I've read some tcl application programs with huge, I mean huge, function-names in them. Case helps when the machine truncates a long variable-name to its maximum allowable length.

I guess I was mistaken about Command+Q applications.

I may even use virtual box, so I can run the PC version of Solaris 10.