Getting User Input from a Text Field

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by man2manno, Mar 21, 2009.

1. man2manno macrumors member

Hey guys, I am new to all this and I am sorry for such a noobie question, but no matter where I go I just can't find it. So I am trying to make an iphone app and I want to get an integer value from the user through a text field, so i could then do some math with the number and display is back on the app.

I got the text field working fine but I need to know how to get the value of what is in the text field as an integer, not a string, so when a button is pressed it does some math. Which file is that done in the header or the implementation file?

here is my Header file (if needed):

#import <UIKit/UIKit.h>
    #import <Foundation/Foundation.h>

@interface MainView : UIView {
    IBOutlet UITextField *textInput;
    IBOutlet UILabel *textOut;
    int x;
    }
    - (IBAction)pressMe;

2. kalimba macrumors regular

Do you want someone to give you a fish, or would you be interested in learning how to fish? If the latter, try searching the Apple documentation for UITextField.

3. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

He wants a boat load of fish.

4. hiddenpremise macrumors regular

hiddenpremise

Somewhere between my imagination and reality
    Code:
    int myInt = [[textInput text] intValue];

You use the text property of the UITextField class to get a string. The next step would be to look at the documentation for NSString. Turns out there is an instanced method called intValue.

:)

Go catch some fish,
    W

5. kalimba macrumors regular

That's not catching fish, at least not in the true sense! That's just grabbing a fish from a net!! ;)

6. man2manno thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

Haha Thanks so much for your help guys I was able to figure it out and got it all working thank a lot!!:D