Getting VERY frustrated trying to rename files on Uni. Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scubasteve03, Aug 21, 2009.

1. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

I have searched around and have not been able to find an answer to my problem. I am having a very tough time trying to rename files/ folders on my late 2008 Unibody MB. This has always happened with this computer since the day I purchased it. When I am trying to rename a file or folder, I hit the return key so I can edit the name on the file. I then try to either backspace or click and drag the selected text that I want to delete. 9 out of 10 times it stops me from doing it mid deleting or adding text. It's like someone it pressing the return key as I am in the middle of editing the text. I am sure I am not pressing the trackpad or enter key accidentally. This is really getting on my nerves and I am about to throw this computer at a wall if I cannot get this fixed.
    It's always allows me a different amount of time to edit before it saves it automatically. I am trying to rename over 1000 files on external/ internal hard drives so I can get the correct name for movies in plex/ iphoto. I know I can go into Get Info and edit the name in there, but that would take forever renaming a thousand files. It literally takes me 5 to 10 times just to rename one file. Can anyone tell me what might be causing this problem? I have also tried using the Apple BT keyboard and have the exact same results.
    Also completely random question, is there a way to disable the IR port on the MB so when I am controlling the Mac Min HTPC it doesn't keep messing with the MB by bringing up Frontrow, pausing/playing tracks? I literally have to cover the IR port with my finger just so I can use the remote on the mini.

Thank you so much for any help and suggestions.

Attached Files:

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Do you notice if Finder flashes (or refreshes) when it takes you out of edit mode? I've noticed that issue. I'd have to do some searching to find potential solutions though.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Last question first. To disable the IR, go to:
    System Preferences > Security > General > Disable remote control infared receiver​
    For your renaming problem, I've encountered something similar when trying to edit a name in a folder with a lot of files. Here's what I've noticed. When I first open the folder, it displays all the file names, but the icons aren't all displayed immediately. It takes several seconds for all the icons to be displayed. If I try editing a name before the icons are finished, it kicks me out of edit mode. Solution: wait until all the icons are displayed before starting to edit.

If that's not the issue, be aware that Finder is "iffy" when trying to click or drag within file name edit mode. You're safer moving around with just the left and right arrows, using the delete key and typing.

It sounds like you're renaming files individually. If that's the case, this next suggestion may not help you. If you have, for example, 15 photos from a trip to Bangkok that you want renamed to "Trip to Bangkok 01", "Trip to Bangkok 02", etc., you'll get a lot of help from Name Mangler. It's a free app that I use constantly for renaming photo and music files.

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

It looks like it's a folder full of images. What's happening is that Finder is generating preview icons while you're renaming, and that is producing the effect you're describing. It's very annoying.

Just wait a few minutes and let it finish generating the icons for your directory before starting your editing.

Alternately, you could turn off icon previews.
    Open your hard drive on the Mac’s desktop and choose View -> Show View Options. Uncheck the Show Icon Preview option and click Use as Defaults at the bottom of the window.

5. scubasteve03 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I'll give that a try when I get home from work. Hopefully the problem is as simple as turning image preview off. I am trying to edit movie names off of an external 1Tb hard drive. It would probably take half an hour to load up the thousand thumbnails.
    What do you mean when you say finder is flashing? Can you see it refreshing the results? I havn't noticed any correlation with that and the edit mode
    stopping randomly.

6. scubasteve03 thread starter macrumors regular

Turning off the icon preview has seemed to do the trick for the most part. Thank you very much! It still cuts me off during an edit while fixing an external drive 2/10 times which is much better. I was sure to do that to the external drives and the OS drive as well. I can deal with that though. If you have any other ideas please let me know. It would be nice for it to work 100% of the time. Thanks again.