Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
New York
This is probably a silly question. I took videos with my iPhone.
I can't figure out how to get them off. Either to iPhoto or iTunes. I tried iMovie, no luck.
I've synced. I've opened iPhoto with the phone connected by the cable.
I can't find the videos to get them off.

wolfaaron

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
I use an app called Flash Drive: USB & Wi-Fi Flash Drive – Free Document Manager & iFile Explorer App by Leping Li
https://appsto.re/us/hZm_D.i

It basically lets you move around files from your iPhone to your computer and from your computer to your iPhone. You don't need to install anything on your computer. You use iTunes.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I use an app called Flash Drive: USB & Wi-Fi Flash Drive – Free Document Manager & iFile Explorer App by Leping Li
https://appsto.re/us/hZm_D.i

It basically lets you move around files from your iPhone to your computer and from your computer to your iPhone. You don't need to install anything on your computer. You use iTunes.

tried that and can add from iMac but didn't see how to go from iPhone to iMac

wolfaaron

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
You open up the app and click on the + at the top and give it permission to your albums. Then you browse to the video that you want to transfer and click done.

Once you do that, plug in your iPhone to your Mac and open up iTunes and open up your iPhone on iTunes. Then you click on the Apps button on the sidebar and scroll down to Sharing and click on the Flash drive app. Once there, you can either click on the "add" or "save to" button. You select the file that you want to transfer to your Mac and click Save To and save it on your Mac. To add a file to your iPhone simply click Add and browse for the file that you want to add.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
You open up the app and click on the + at the top and give it permission to your albums. Then you browse to the video that you want to transfer and click done.

Once you do that, plug in your iPhone to your Mac and open up iTunes and open up your iPhone on iTunes. Then you click on the Apps button on the sidebar and scroll down to Sharing and click on the Flash drive app. Once there, you can either click on the "add" or "save to" button. You select the file that you want to transfer to your Mac and click Save To and save it on your Mac. To add a file to your iPhone simply click Add and browse for the file that you want to add.

Thanks, saw that part but wasn't sure what it was going to do with photo.
Does it do more than photos--from iPhone to iMac--?
It only gives me Photos as an option to access when I open Flash Drive in Phone's Settings--

Last edited:

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Ok I get it. Had no vids in camera roll. But when i put one there and selected it it did not transfer to iMac. And listed Camera Roll folder below the individual vid in the window on iTunes for Flash Drive. Is it all or nothing?

When I highlighted the Camera Roll folder in the window it said Camera Roll already exists and do I want to replace it.

Will play with it---:confused:

wolfaaron

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
Ok I get it. Had no vids in camera roll. But when i put one there and selected it it did not transfer to iMac. And listed Camera Roll folder below the individual vid in the window on iTunes for Flash Drive. Is it all or nothing?

When I highlighted the Camera Roll folder in the window it said Camera Roll already exists and do I want to replace it.

Will play with it---:confused:

You might have different settings on iTunes. Make sure that you have "manually manage music and videos" enabled under options in the main menu of your iPhone on iTunes.

If you still can't get it to work then your next option would be to install OneDrive or Dropbox and transfer files between your iPhone and Mac that way. It requires a speedy internet connection for videos, otherwise it might take some time.

moman

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
I take videos with my 5s and i just transfer them using iphoto using the regular transfer option. They show up in my iphoto library when its done... it's a little slow though. iPhoto thinks they're pictures when they're on the phone but they'll transfer as movies.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
You might have different settings on iTunes. Make sure that you have "manually manage music and videos" enabled under options in the main menu of your iPhone on iTunes.

If you still can't get it to work then your next option would be to install OneDrive or Dropbox and transfer files between your iPhone and Mac that way. It requires a speedy internet connection for videos, otherwise it might take some time.

I have Manage Manually selected. I do use DB and other programs. Just like to try new ones. :)

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
New York
I'm not sure how, but I got the photos into iPhoto.
It seems awful complicated for something so basic.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Don't feel bad I stumbled through a lot with iTunes in general--and will have to refigure it all over again on next project :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.