Getting video into imovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by kingrj46, Jan 27, 2008.

1. kingrj46 macrumors newbie

I am having some problems getting my videos into imovie. I was trying to get them there directly from my video camera. But it wont import them. Then i tried to get the files on my mac then import them, but it wont let me select them. then i converted with quicktime pro into vaious formats and was able to import, but with no audio. i had to use simplemoviex which worked but its limitation due to trial version is that it takes forever. is there an easier way to get my movies into imovie? am i missing something?

2. dap1215 macrumors regular

What camera are you using?? Also what kinda mac do you have? I would go to apple.com and search whatever camera it is that you have and see if its compatible with your Mac, and if other people are having the same issue..

3. kingrj46 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have a sony hard drive camera. I have a macbook. ill try searching through apple. I think i saw on the new imovie it NOW supports many new camera formats. I think i may just get imovie 08 even though i hear its not as good

4. FlyingDutchman macrumors newbie

I have a Sony hard drive camera as well. The only way it will work is as follows.

1. Turn camera on, Connect the camera (using the USB) to your mac, and put it in HDD mode
    2. Now launch Imovie '08 and Imovie will detect the camera allowing you to import files

You can not import files that you have copied before to your harddisk, unless you make a specific partition simulating the exact file structure as on your camera.