Getting video on iPad??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SRLMJ23, Apr 19, 2011.

1. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I am new to the iPad so I don't know all the tricks and stuff yet, however, by being in this forum from now on I'll gain all the knowledge I need. I'm a constant viewer of the iPhone forum because, well, I have an iPhone.

Anyway, I am wondering how I get video that I shot with my iPhone to my iPad, is there a way to do it through iTunes or do you have to hack. I'm not much into hacking and I will not jailbreak any of my Apple products.

Thanks in advance!

2. apple.pseudofan macrumors regular

Camera connection kit is phenomenal for this. Works flawlessly.

I resisted purchasing at first, but love it now.

3. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

You should be able to sync it through iPhoto and then iTunes to your iPad.

4. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I'm on a Windows 7 machine so no iPhoto for me. I really wish Apple would make software for Windows just like Microsoft makes Office for Mac. I also really wish Apple would let OSX be installed on any machine (heres to wishing) haha.

So this program you mention, it allows you to get video on the iPad?

5. cinca macrumors regular

I'll take a stab at outlining your options that come to my mind:

1) If you are going to be transferring large movie files or a large number of images frequently from your iPhone (or other devices!) you should definitely consider the camera connection kit. It's not super expensive and will ultimately make the process much faster and easier than it would be through the nex two methods (although they have their benefits)

2) If it's just a "here and there" type or a one time thing and you don't want to spend money on the camera connection kit but you don't mind spending money to make it convenient and easy I would recommend the app "PhotoSync" (one word no spaces or symbols). It appears to come up in search results as "PhotoSync - wirelessly transfers your photos and videos". This program will allow you to very, very easily select and transfer photos and videos between iPhones. You can use the iPhone version on your iPad as well or pay an additional few dollars for the iPad optimized version (which is sold separately). This program also let's you easily send/sync/copy photos and videos off of your iPhone/iPad to a dropbox account and also to a pc or Mac if you install a free little app available on their website. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking to easily transfer photos and videos between any combination of iPhone/iPod touch/iPad. Note: the sending and receiving device both need to be on the same network.

3) A slower but free solution that doesn't involve any additional hardware or software expense would be to sign up for a free dropbox account and send the files to your dropbox account on one device, then access your account on the receiving device and copy them down. I know this will work for images (I.e. You can easily view and image and save it to the camera roll ) but I am not certain if this is true with getting videos from dropbox to your camera roll (for access by other programs like iMovie for iPad, etc.) maybe someone else can chime in on this aspect?

4) The final option would be, as another poster pointed out, to sync your iphone and use iTunes or iPhoto get any videos (and photos) into iPhoto and then sync your iPad with your computer and have that stuff appear on the iPad. I imagine if you called apple this would be the "official" way but to me it sounds like a big hassle. You need to make sure your phone and iPad are set up to sync photos properly. This would be the solution I would recommend to someone that is EXTREMELY unfamiliar with computers and already backed up their iphone and ipad frequently as a matter of general practice. I, personally, shy away from ever syncing my iPad (except for system updates) and prefer to think of it like an independent computer rather than a fancy piece of jewelry connected to my computer. (I have all my important files backed up to cloud services like dropbox in case of disaster).

In conclusion, I would strongly recommend option 1 or 2 depending on your situation and the amount of money you were comfortable spending ($40-ish I think vs $2-$4 depending on if you use the iPhone version on both devices or get both the iPhone and iPad version).

Check out this application on the App Store:

PhotoSync - wirelessly transfers your photos and videos
    touchbyte GmbH
    Category: Photography
    Updated: Apr 07, 2011
    30 Ratings

6. cinca macrumors regular

Two things to share per your email:

The Camera Connection Kit that I believe you are mistaking for a program ("this program you mention") is actually a little hardware device that you plug into the dock connector of your iPad and it allows you to connect any phone (or USB video camera or even your iPhone!) directly to your iPad and transfer images straight onto your iPad. Think of it like connecting your camera to your computer to copy your photos and videos onto your computer -- but with the camera connection kit the photos and videos (that you select -- it doesn't copy all of them if you don't want) get copied directly to your iPad. I believe it costs $30 or $40. It comes with a card adapter and a USB adapter. For the purposes of connecting your iPhone you only need the USB adapter. It is not available separately.

As for office for the ipad, Apple does make a great word processing program for the iPad called Pages. Its not an exact copy so it will take a little getting used to but if you are familiar with Word you should do okay. There is also a program called Numbers that Apple makes with a version available for the iPad but I don't recommend it as highly as you use mouse in excel so much to manipulate and change things so much that it really takes quite a bit of patience and time to become proficient with numbers (in my opinion). That being said, if you really need a spreadsheet on your iPad I would recommend the Numbers app. Both Pages and Numbers allow you to open and save in office format (word .doc formate and excel .xls format)

Good luck and enjoy your iPad. There is a learning curve and you need to make an effort to know all that is possible -- but A LOT is possible.. Much more than you would think..!

The fact that you are on these forums reading and asking questions is a good sign that you will really enjoy your iPad.

7. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I appreciate all your responses, thank you. I did know the connection kit was hardware, I just made a typo.

As for learning the iPad, I pretty much know most all of it because of my extensive use of the iPhone (1st generation through fourth generation, I had all the phones, actually 2 iPhone 3GS's) and I am loving my iPad!!! It is frigging awesome, I'm actually typing this now on my iPad.

Again, thank you all for your responses!