Getting VLC to play BluRays

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FrozenSoul80, Feb 20, 2013.

1. FrozenSoul80 macrumors newbie

My new iMac arrived yesterday, and I'm in the process of setting it up. I haven't used a Mac since 2003 so a lot of things have changed. Can someone please help me understand the following link? It might as well be in another language and I can't get it to work. Can someone translate for me, assuming zero understanding of the folder structure of OSX?

http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have not done this myself, but based upon the instructions... here is what they mean.

First of all, any time you see ~ this symbol on Mac/Unix it means the user's home directory. So if you open the Finder and open Macintosh HD, you will see a folder called Users. In that folder is another folder for each person that has an account on the machine. So if your user name is "jsmith" that folder would be at Macintosh HD/Users/jsmith. So your Library folder they mention in the article would be at Macintosh HD/Users/jsmith/Library.

So using the ~ shortcut, or going to ~/Library is the exact same as Macintosh HD/Users/jsmith/Library. This allows one to copy/paste commands without actually knowing the user name.

Okay, so let's give those instructions a go.

First DL the two files they mentioned here and here and save the files to your desktop. It is important they are on the Desktop for the later commands to work.

Now we will make the new folders they require. Open Terminal app from the Applications/Utilities folder and paste in the below command then hit enter. This will create the new aacs folder they want.

Code:
    mkdir ~/Library/Preferences/aacs
    Now do the same thing again in Terminal with this second command.

Code:
    mkdir ~/lib
    Okay... now we have both folders needed and it is time to copy the files form your Desktop into the folder(s).

Copy/paste and enter this in Terminal to move the first file.

Code:
    mv ~/Desktop/KEYDB.cfg ~/Library/Preferences/aacs/
    Same thing again with the below command.

Code:
    mv ~/Desktop/libaacs.dylib ~/lib/
    That should do it. You created two new folders and moved the files into the folders.

You could have also done all this by clicking around in the Finder, but I thought these Terminal commands would be less error prone.