Getting weird name under 'Shared' in Finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sadcaper, Feb 20, 2008.

1. sadcaper macrumors member

OK, I'm not sure if I have some sort of hacker/virus on my Mac, or if it's normal and I just don't know what it is, but it's starting to worry me cuz things are acting kind of weird.

In the Finder, I'm seeing an entry under 'SHARED', with the name "andrew-n3uokr7z". I have no idea what this is. When I click on it, it says "trying to connect", then finally just says "Connection Failed" and has nothing in it. When I reboot the machine this goes away, but eventually comes back.

My name is Andrew, so it's a little weird. Any ideas??? My wireless is 128 bit encrypted, so not sure what it is and how it got there.

Thanks!

2. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

Its another computer in your wireless network. You mac automatically detects other comuters in your netwrok, and you can connect ot them by clicking them.

For the odd name, that is the name of the computer, your mac is detecting... do you have a brother? Or another PC somewhere? Or anyone else using your internet network?

3. sadcaper thread starter macrumors member

No, no other computers using the wireless network, just my iMac. The only other thing would be an Apple TV. The wireless is password protected, so I'm not sure how they could join the network. This is why I thought it was some unauthorized person on my computer...just not sure what or who it is.

How can I block this "entity"? It creeps me out seeing that name there...

4. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

to my knowledge you cant block him.

BUT i fully assure you, he CAN'T get into your computer, unless he somehow miraculously guesses your computers username and password. Chances of that are slim.. and yu can make chances even slimmer by making it so your password is more complex.

So dont worry your mac is safe, keep in mind mac = UNIX (i know im over simplifying but w/e)

and UNIX is known for its security. So your safe :)