Getting wife onto iOS platform, one account?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xchaotic, Jan 30, 2012.

1. xchaotic macrumors member

My wife has some needs, specifically is after a music player plus needs a smartphone.
    I think her smartphone needs could have been easily met by some other phone, but iPod/iPhone is one of the better solutions in terms of playing/buying music so it's all nicely integrated into one device (+ maybe something with a dock / airtunes for playing out loud).
    Now I already have purchased a considerable amount of apps and music and I think that it makes most sense to still use one apple account to share the burden of costs, ie we would have one iTunes library and one account for purchasing apps and music.
    Would you recommend that?
    Are there any downsides to such a setup?

2. wy328 macrumors newbie

yes, you could use one account for five computer (in itunes mac or pc).

3. JonLa macrumors 6502

No downside to this - create her a new icloud account, which can be used for icloud, imessage, but when setting up her phone you put in your account for the store and can then share apps, music, etc...

4. thankins macrumors 6502

I had the same dilemma when the misses got hers. I used one account which was great and all but then iClould/App Syncing came out and I had to deal with buying an app on her phone and then having it appear on mine or on my computer. It was a mess and I hated that.

So I just set her up an iTunes account with my payment info - yes I had to buy some apps again (iWork suite) but I thought this method was better and it supported some of the smaller devs whose apps we have really enjoyed.

5. xchaotic thread starter macrumors member

Not sure what you problem was (other than having too much money - no disrespect), did you set one or two iCloud accounts?
    Even money matters aside, I think having one account might be handy for sharing music and other media, using iPad (which doesn't exactly belong to one of us - it's shared) etc...