Getting Windows 32-bit from Windows 64-bit

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by peterpan123, Oct 26, 2014.

1. peterpan123 macrumors 6502

Hello, I installed Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. One old software requires a 32-bit OS. Is there any way to make it works without buying the 32-bit version of Windows? Can I get a 32-bit Windows XP mode from 64-bit Windows 7? I am also using Fusion 7. Thanks.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I think the Windows activation key you have will work for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the version of Windows you purchased. All you need is the 32-bit ISO or disc for the version of Windows you have. Just install it and use your current activation key. You may want to wait for conformation from other members before continuing with my advice.

3. stempsons macrumors regular

the activation key does in fact work for both versions.

4. peterpan123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Could anybody please let me know how to get a genuine 32-bit version of Windows 7 Professional from a reliable source? Thank you.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Look for one hosted by Digital River. That's the host that Microsoft uses to host their ISO's with.

6. J232022 macrumors member

You can try running the program in compatibility mode in Windows it works most of the time .

7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

If you're using Fusion, just find an old copy of XP and install it as a new virtual machine. If you're using Boot Camp, Windows 7 Professional can download a copy of XP for no extra cost and run it in its own virtual machine. I would not use the Windows 7/XP mode option if in Fusion because then you would be dealing with two levels of emulation.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

store.microsoft.com is very reliable and you can down either (32bit or 64 bit) ISO from them

9. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Only for Windows 8.1. MS has stopped producing Windows 7 all together. The only way to buy it is an OEM copy while there are some left in stock.

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium

Windows 7 32-bit Professional

These are direct from MS. They're trusted, verified, and bonafide. Though getting these should be your last resort, since 32-bit program works just fine in 64-bit. Your more likely problem is that is your old program doesn't recognize the newer OS as a compatible version of Windows, and errors out on you, which, like J232022 said above, setting the executable to WinXP compatibility mode should fix.

11. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

If your copy of Windows 7 is Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate, you can use "Windows XP Mode" which launches a small virtual machine with a 32-bit copy of Windows XP. This feature is included in the Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate versions of Windows 7, you just need to install it. Search Windows Help for details.

If you are using Home Basic or Home Premium, then sorry, you'll have to find a different method.

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    You sure about that? I'm pretty semi mostly positive it's available in Home Premium.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're right, my bad :eek:

14. J232022, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014

J232022 macrumors member

Honestly Windows 8.1 is better than Windows 7 . Windows 7 support is going to end quicker than Windows 8.1 . Also many people are saying Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 8.1 users . I say get Windows 8.1 you will not be disappointed . The only real significant difference is the start menu is a start screen . You can always use a program to bring the start menu back if you need to but I think it works fine the way it is and it feels fast and modern . Also I believe the Windows OEM versions are supposed to be used for system builders not Virtual Machines .