Getting Wireless at university

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DrunkenMunky, Dec 8, 2009.

1. DrunkenMunky macrumors member

Hey guys,

I'm currently at university, and I'm now fed up of not having wireless internet in my flat.

I was just wondering about the best way to implement it.

Routers are not allowed.

I do have a spare modem/router... is it possible to use that as a wireless access point?

Would buying a Apple Airport Extreme be the easiest way? (Im guessing it can be used as a wireless access point)

Thanks in advance :)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There's no good way to break university policy. There are good reasons why universities don't let students set up their own wireless networks. You should lobby your IT department to install it campus-wide or at least in the residential areas.

3. belvdr macrumors 603

When they say routers are not allowed, they are implying that adding rogue APs is prohibited.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just set a router into bridge mode and it should be fine; when universities don't want routers it's because they don't want your router sharing a connection with random people; if it's just bridging the it would still require authentication with the university network thereby retain some sort of security.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Bridge Mode is likely the only way they won't become irritated.

6. DrunkenMunky thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, the only person they don't want routers... is that it may interferer with the ip addressing.

Wireless access points are allowed tho.

Ill look into bridging it. Thanks :)