Getting worried about new MBP Screen,help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by okrelayer, Oct 17, 2008.

1. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

The new notebook is fantastic. Just to get that out of the way. However. When putting in a dvd, or watching a full screen video on iTunes i notice small bits of light appearing from the bottom of the screen, and from the left corner. I am wondering if its leaking light, or if it might be a problem. Or that its not a problem at all..

You'll see the different shades of white on the black screen of a dvd. On the bottom. Maybe im crazy?

[​IMG]

2. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

should be timg....

anyway would defiantly have that looked at, it doesn't look normal to me.

3. PDE macrumors 68020

As a person who is notoriously particular with LCDs in pro level macbook pros, I would say that yours is pretty average in terms of light bleed. Can you see it against other backgrounds too?

If you watch a lot of DVDs or use dark backgrounds, or if it just bothers you most of the time, I'd recommend getting it swapped by Apple. Some light bleed seems to be inevitable on most laptop displays and it really is just personal how much you're willing to accept.

4. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

you're going to have lots of fun when you return it to an apple store and try and get them to dim all the lights so they can see this...

5. PDE macrumors 68020

That's the hardest part....showing any defect at the apple store. They can usually go to the back where they can control the lighting. The only problem then is that they're often blind too and will come back to tell you that everything is within spec.

The only thing I can say is that with new models like this, they're usually VERY eager to capture problematic units so they can identify problems early on. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

6. okrelayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

My Buddy ordered a MBP just yesterday. I will look at his and see how much light bleeding is coming through on his. Then i will decide. Will this light bleeding make the screen less bright than it should be? I would be lying if i said it didnt bother the heck out of me haha.

thanks for your responces.

7. okrelayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

anyone else have anything to add to this? I dont know much about LED light leaks

8. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

I have a MBP I bought in June of 07 when they first came out with the LED screen and I am very lucky because there is zero light bleed on this display and it is perfect! I would be really upset if my new MBP had the light bleed shown in your pic. Thats truly not acceptable to me for that class machine. It seems to me they are trying to save money in manufacturing the MBP in both the quality of the materials as well as the build process. Guess every industry is doing the same thing right now. I would try to return it for another unit if you just got it. Good luck.

9. PDE macrumors 68020

There is usually a little bleed around the edges and sometimes it radiates further in toward the middle, but it's not really 'normal' that you have the kind of symmetrical bleed the way you have. The previous MBPs had an issue where every other LED would light, causing what looked like beams of light radiating upward. But that would be visible with all backgrounds.

Either way, I'm inclined to say that you should get it replaced since you're obviously bothered by it. I would be too given that it's expensive and brand new. Just call Apple and see what they say.

10. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

@ PDE

i don't think APPLE ever acknowledge the yellow tint with the previous generation.. both the 2007 and the early 2008 MBP..

you remember i had mine replaced 3 times..
    the 3rd one was the most acceptable from the 3.
    i spent a week and a half going back and forth to the apple store

11. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

I agree that it's unfortunately average for a MBP display. Their obsession with brighter backlights seems to create problems like this on almost every new display they come out with. Remember that when you swap it out you might get an even worse one. I did with my last gen MBP.

12. kanpachi macrumors regular

There's Apple quality control for you.

13. ptjh macrumors regular

I don't know much about it but I don't think it happens noticably on my Sony Vaio 15" but was alot worse on my friends 17" model for some reason. That's all I can say really. Agggh...Damn it, I want the new MB Pro as well but can't stand that! I'd take it back.

14. okrelayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks mates. I'll go up there Monday or Sunday evening and see about it. I will also look at the new one before I leave!

They will swap hds right ? I spent the last 3 days transfering stuff I'd hate to do that again!

15. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Don't know if they'll swap hard drives, they're more likely to transfer it over via Firewire.

As for the light leak, my mid-2007 MBP has none.

16. okrelayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well guys I took it to Apple and they saw the issue and they swapped it out no problem. I haven't been able look at the new screen at home in the dark yet but I'll keep updated

17. thespyglass macrumors regular

thespyglass

Glad you got it sorted. Please do keep us updated :)

18. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I'm looking forward to your report. I'm interested to see if the new one has the same problem.

Cheers.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well to be fair to Apple, they don't turn on your computer to check because that would mean the computer isn't new anymore. If you want to blame anybody's quality control, blame the panel manufacturer.

@OP: Go back to the store and get an exchange.

20. okrelayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got home, put on a few dvds to check it out, and the screen is pretty much as perfect as its going to get! Very dark when on a black screen! I am happy i didnt just deal with this issue, i knew it would bother the heck out of me as the days/months progress. haha

21. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

If that was true then they ALL would have the same light bleed...and then why would you recommend that he go & return the computer for another that will have the exact same issue?

22. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

...always the bridesmaid ;)

OP: Look forward to seeing a pic of the new comp's screen in the same lighting conditions if possible.

23. sk47 macrumors member

Panel manufacturers cannot be the source of blame because it all depends on the implementation of backlight and the video engine that runs the display. Which is in control of Apple and their design team.

24. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Can we get a pic of the screen on the new MBP? Would be nice to see a comparison.

Cheers.
    :):apple:

25. integrat.ethis macrumors regular

Sorry to bump this thread, but I've found the same issue on my new MBP.

Did you exchange your entire laptop or just get the screen replaced? I have a BTO model that I can't afford to send back (especially for such a minor issue), but I'm going to be passing through Orlando soon and could swing by an apple store if I get swap out my screen.

Also, I second the motion that you should post pics of your new screen!

(New here by the way, hey everyone!)