Getting Xbox Live back on with new iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sprouticus, Sep 12, 2007.

1. sprouticus macrumors member

Hey all. I recently upgraded to the brand new iMac, and have been having trouble getting back on Live via the 360's wireless adapter. I'm having no trouble getting my Wii back online, but the Xbox 360 is giving me a headache. I am sharing my internet via Ethernet, and have the Wii connecting to the iMac via the Airport card. The 360 should be doing the same thing but nothing is working!

With my older iMac, I did the same thing for the 360 that I did for the Wii and it got online just fine. Now, I can't get it online at all. I did the whole Terminal thing, finding the inet number and all that good stuff, but nothing seems to work.

Anybody have any ideas?

2. ~J~ macrumors 6502

The one issue I had with my 360 wireless adapter is it cannot do WPA2, so I had to set my router (AEBS) to WPA/WPA2. Once I set it to do both, the 360 saw my network, I typed in my passphrase and online I went. Been GRAW2-ing ever since! Hope that helps, good luck.

3. jonnylink macrumors 6502

Right. It is almost definitely just WPA2, my brother called up with the same problem not too long ago.

4. sprouticus thread starter macrumors member

Well, my iMac is connected to the internet via Ethernet, and I'm trying to use the airport card housed in the iMac to share the connection. It works for my sister's Macbook, my DS, and my Wii but not the 360... Did something change with Airport cards over the past few Mac revisions? Is there a way to change the WPA settings for the airport card or something? I'm pretty dull when it comes to networking so pardon my partial stupidity, and by partial I of course mean complete :)

5. jonnylink macrumors 6502

6. sprouticus thread starter macrumors member

I just tried and got the same thing. The connection test never gets past the second step, which is "wireless network." It makes me think there is something wrong with the unit, but it DOES pick up my iMac as a connection point. I just don't get it!! Is it a problem that my IP is coming up as 10.2.2.x and not 192.168.x.x?

7. jonnylink macrumors 6502

I don't know what range apple uses, but 10.2.2.x is almost definitely wrong.

I have to say that apple's been having trouble getting their airport cards to work right in the latest updates. I haven't had a single update since 10.4.10 that didn't break the WiFi on my MPB. I don't know if that is the culprit, but if you keep going and nothing else works I'd look into that. But given that other computers are connected and that XBox seems to be getting a weird IP range I'd think it isn't a Mac issue.

You should check what IP your other connected devices have. The first three sets of numbers should all be the same for everything connected to the iMac

8. sprouticus thread starter macrumors member

The Wii is using the 10.0.2.x IP address and having no problem getting online. Bah, this is confusing me :confused:

9. jonnylink macrumors 6502

Really? Never heard of that. Looks like some other people have that range though so I don't think it is the issue. However if the Wii is using 10.0.2.x then your xbox should be too. Only the last number should be different. It is getting an assigned number though and connecting to the iMac?

Also have you tried turning off the firewall on your Mac to see if that makes any sort of difference?

10. sprouticus thread starter macrumors member

I've tried giving it that IP number but it still doesn't work. It never gets past the second step of the connection test process. It can recognize my computer, but it never fully connects to it. My firewall isn't on.

I just did another Terminal session and my IP now comes up as 192.168.2.172

Server comes up as 68.87.71.226 at the bottom of Terminal when you do the Dig command. Any thoughts?

11. gameguy3001 macrumors member

10.x.x.x is a normal range for the IP addresses. It is the default for the Airport Express and Extreme Base Stations and for the built in Airport Cards as well.