Getting Xbox Live to work thru a OSX server gateway

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Yoursh, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Yoursh macrumors 6502

I've been beating my head against the wall the last few days so I thought I'd see if anyone here could help.

I picked up an Xbox 360 as a Christmas gift to myself earlier this week. It works fine except one thing, I can't get it to connect to Xbox Live through my home network. I don't have any problems with any other device on my network, including a Nintendo Wii. Here's my setup. I have my Xserve(10.4.11 server) acting as my gateway in conjunction with a gigabit switch. So my setup is wired like this...

A series of tubes->cable modem->en0 Xserve en1->gigabit switch->networked devices(Mac's/game systems/etc.)

I'm running DHCP, DNS, Firewall, NAT, and AFP on the Xserve. It's also running as an Open Directory master. When you attempt to log into Xbox Live you get a failure error. When it runs a check of the network connection it passes everything fine until it tries to actually connect to Live, then it fails. It obtains an IP address from the Xserve via DHCP fine and the DNS shows correctly.

When you hook the Xbox up strait to the cable modem, it connects fine. It's only when it tries through the network. I first checked the Firewall settings to see if I needed to open some ports. Even after trying several settings(including killing firewall completly), the Xbox still can't log on.

At this point I'm stuck. The Xbox support is useless. Their only solution is to use a 'approved' router. Doing this would kill my server functionality. So I'm throwing this out to you guys to see if anyone has run into this issue or may have an idea.

2. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Same problem I have experienced; XBox Live will NOT connect when used via a router, and I have searched somewhat (not exhaustively by any means) for the answer with no luck. I would try to XBox forums instead of here since I believe its not a problem with OSX, it's the XBox.

3. Yoursh thread starter macrumors 6502

I've checked Xbox and Apple forums and have had little luck. My main problem is that I'm using OSX server. Most postings are in regards to getting a 360 to work with client versions of OSX. This doesn't help since the server OS is very different in regards to internet sharing. Though I have found a posting that states a piece of software called 'TheNATural' may fix my problem at least. I'll have to try it in the morning when I have access to my Xserve.

4. Yoursh thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I tried the app I mentioned above with no luck. Tried setting the Xbox's ip address in the NAT's DMZ. Also tried ip and port forwarding without success.

I just wished the Xbox had a more indepth error screen. All it states is Xbox live connection atempt 'failed' with no info as to why. My guess is the Xbox Live runs on some non-standard config. that just doesn't jell with OSX server.

Tommorrow I'm going to attempt to run the firewall but with the 'any' profile allowing all to pass through. See if that works.

5. Yoursh thread starter macrumors 6502

I was able to get it to work. In the end I eneded up leaving the Xbox's ip address in the NAT's DMZ. Then in the Server Admin app I left Firewall on but set the ip address block 'any' to allow all. It's not secure but at least I'm able to get the Xbox to log into Live. I'll have to play with the Firewall some more, but in my initial test's the Xbox would not connect even when I set it up to allow the ports it needed.

At worst I open up the Firewall when I want to play on Live, then close it back down afterwards.

6. kgroder macrumors newbie

XBOX and Xserver

Were you able to get more than Moderate NAT form XBox's network test? I can't, though I connect to XBox Live fine. Some games won't play with Moderate NAT and I CAN" find a suitable configuration with Server 10.5 to get Open NAT. The odd thing is, when I configure Firewall services to open ports 88 and 3047 (XBox ports) XBox CANNOT connect to the internet at all. With these services turned off, it connects, but with Moderate NAT.

I've configured NAT port forwarding (with TheNatural) but that doesn't help. If I turn off NAT and Firewall, XBox cannot connect to the internet.

Frustrating!! Here's my setup:

Comcast Business Service > SMC Networks modem > Server 10.5 > Belkin Wirelss G router (AP mode) ----- wireless bridge to identical Belkin router > Xbox (Static IP)

Changing XBox to Auto IP and DNS makes no difference.

Anyone???