Getting your iPad early from Fedex- pick it up!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Laserawesome, Mar 14, 2012.

1. bgro macrumors 6502a

I don't see any "hold at location" button when i go to the fedex site through the track package link in the shipping email

2. Laserawesome thread starter macrumors member

Maybe there isn't a shipping center near you? I just called the local Fedex office near me, and they told me which center is my distribution center. In other words, all packages delivered to my area get sent there (Fedex World Shipping Center) then sorted to the different trucks and delivered.

I went to hold at location and had them hold it at the distribution center. The person at the local office told me that no matter what, it had to be sent through the distribution center first, so the local office would get it the same time I would if I had it sent to my house.

The distribution center gets the packages first thing in the morning then opens for pick-up at 8:30am. They will hold the package there instead of putting it on the truck. Luckily that distro center is only 2 miles from my house.

I was just reading some horror stories of people who were waiting to get packages on days with large amounts of deliveries (around christmas or on big product launches). Fedex is known for just driving by and barely trying to deliver the package if they are in a rush. On a Friday that could mean that you'd have to wait until Monday if they are unable to deliver.

This way I'll have control over when I get the iPad no matter what, and I won't be waiting all day.

3. WILLDOGS macrumors regular

From Fedex:

Hold at FedEx Location

Not all shipments are eligible for this option.

Only the shipper, recipient or payor of the shipping transaction may make a Hold at FedEx Location request.

FedEx does not guarantee that the request can be fulfilled.

If your shipment is eligible, FedEx Express will attempt to have your shipment available for pickup by the next business day after the estimated delivery date.

Government issued photo I.D. is required for shipment pickup.

Ability to request a Hold at FedEx Location via fedex.com is available for U.S. destined shipments only.

4. AlxRymnd914 macrumors member

I've used this option numerous times and it has always been waiting at the store the same day as delivery. That statement is more of an insurance thing for if something goes wrong or you make the Hold Request too late.

5. Laserawesome thread starter macrumors member

This is the case with fed-ex freight shipments and fed-ex shipments that need to be held at local offices. Not the case for overnight shipments that have a specific shipment date. These apple shipments are express overnight shipments. I thought that maybe I was unable to pick it up until the day after as well, but after calling fedex I found out otherwise. The caveat is placed on the webpage because that is the worst case scenario. If you are interested I would suggest that you call your local fedex office and check how it works in your area. In my case i can go directly to a distribution center.

6. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Wouldn't make much difference in my case. The truck doesn't pull into the local distro point until 7:00AM, they don't open until 9:00AM, and they usually drive by my house around 9:30AM. So, for me, just getting it delivered at home saves me the gas.

7. MR1324 macrumors 6502

being able to hold my delivery and pick up the same day is a big deal for me. i was going to pre sign because i will be busy on friday, but there would be a risk of the package being stolen. now, i can get my new ipad the same day at my own convenience.

8. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I tried this for my iPad delivery and FedEx actually called me and left me a message saying this was not allowed for this shipment and that they would be delivering to my house first. I suggest you call and confirm they accept your try at getting it held at a pickup location.

9. glen e macrumors 68030

some of you guys need to get a grip - if you have a track number that says it's getting there on friday, it will get there. This is not Fed ex's or apples first time doing this....

and you got the procedure wrong - the hold for pickup is after they try to deliver - you then have the choice of picking up the next day or have them try to deliver again.

The last thing they want is a bunch of fanboys outside before they try to deliver.....your fed ex depot/dist center is not an apple store with lines outside..

10. mcman macrumors newbie

I made a request to hold my ipad at local fedex 2 days ago and today I got a call from them saying that they have to try to deliver it once :)confused:) and that I can pick it up after 6pm, I assume this is when delivery guy returns from his route.

11. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Honestly, unless you are flat out unable to be home, don't mess with it. All you risk doing is getting it stuck so that you cannot get it until monday. If you are going to be home friday anyway, just let things play out. It's a lot safer.

12. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

This is not true. It can be used for people who are not at home during normal hours (for instance if you have a 9-5 job). I've done this plenty of times for normal shipments with no issues. But I do understand that they wouldn't want everyone doing this all on one day, so it makes sense that not all areas will allow for this.

13. wthomas86 macrumors member

Since they have to make at least one attempt, it like extra insurance in case your dozing off or using the bathroom when the delivery guy knocks on your door and you don't hear him. I doubt he will make any attempt to knock again or wait because they are going to be overloaded with deliveries.

14. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

But then you can go pick it up anyway. The only time I've ever missed a FedEx delivery I was still able to pick it up later that evening. They'll usually leave a sticker that tells you what time you can try to pick it up. That's standard on all deliveries.

15. wthomas86 macrumors member

Good to know!

16. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Had a horrible story when the guy trying to deliver my macbook didn't even try to deliver it and updated the tracking site saying that the customer was not at home. I was waiting at the sofa near my door the whole day and there wan no delivery failed door tag. I was quite pissed.

17. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

I hope they don't run late and then return the package back to the center. That's happened to me a few times and it sucks.

18. glen e macrumors 68030

this is totally not a problem when you tape the pre-sign form on your door....