Getting your macbook. Where?!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Germwise, May 25, 2009.

1. Germwise macrumors regular

The time approaches for my transformation! I'm eagerly waiting for the back to school and maybe WWDC before buying my macbook.

Here is my dilemma:

I can buy a used macbook, either through craigslist or refurbished and save quite a bit of money. However, if I buy refurbished, what are my chances at getting the washed out screen? How much time/energy/shipping costs would there be if I wanted to exchange my lappy?

For example: I get a refurbished macbook, 9C89 screen (i've seen them in person, they are faded!), I call apple and want another. Will they let me? Will I just get another one like it?

OR

I buy a refurbished and it comes with a few dead pixels (I assume these MBs are usually returned for a reason, albeit a small one). Can I exchange in store or do I have to go through apple again?

Finally, the back to school deal (particularly if they allow an iphone) might encourage me to buy new from the store itself.

IF I do this, can I open up the macbook in the store and fully inspect it before leaving?

For example if I am unhappy with the screen for whatever reason (faded, pixels etc) could I just get a new one right off the bat or will I have to go through a huge hassle?

What would you do? I think I can get a great deal on craigslist with an old 9c89 screen.

Or I can buy refurbished from apple

Or I can buy new from a reseller with no tax (do they have the back to school sale as well?)

OR I can buy in store new.

What do you do and why?

Thanks for your help

2. Apple all life macrumors 6502

I am pretty sure people buy refurbished and some of them are brand new ones. I think they fix everything so they look new.

3. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

Well first question is do you have an Apple store near you? If so, I would HIGHLY recommend seriously looking at referbs online. I purchase referb and mine are fantastic, they even come with the standard one year warranty as new ones all for hundreds less than new.

Like you said there is a chance you could get a problem one, be it dead pixels or "washing out". This is where your local Apple store comes into play if you have one. You can take your lappy into the store, talk to a genius and HOPEFULLY get it switched out for ya. I've heard stories of this happening on here so I know it can be done.

Finally, about the school special. I would recommend purchasing now seeing as the sale isn't for a couple weeks and I really doubt that they'll extend the discount to iPhones. If you buy referb you could put that extra money you saved and get an iPod at a local electronic store, OR I would even suggest looking at the referb site again. They have iPods there as well for the discounted price that have the warranty I believe. Anyways, let us know what you decide to do!

4. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

If you get a screen you dislike, they will not send you a new one, refurb or not. The whole reason that you're getting a discount is because it has been opened and used before. If you want a new and perhaps better screen without the gambling, you will have to buy a new MacBook. If a slightly better screen is worth $200+ (I can't see the actual price, as there isn't one on the refurb store at the moment) then go for a new one. There is little in the way of statistical evidence for washed out screens.

5. Skydiver32 macrumors member

I hope to be able to inspect it before leaving the store and exchanging it before leaving.
    One forseable problem is if a new Iphone is released, that would cause the stores to be mobbed and I doubt anybody would have much time for you.

Only to slightly hijack the thread, sorry.
    What are the common problems you should look for if you are inspecting it at the store? Dead Pixels, dents, poorly alligned screen or battery door, anything else?

6. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

No to rain on your parade but I highly doubt anybody is going to allow you to remvove a macbook from a sealed container. Mine came in a pouch with a sticker/seal. This told me it had never been opened after it left California.

I could be wrong though.

7. RDM3 macrumors regular

I just posted in a similiar thread, here is my opinion....

I say go with a refurb or check Best Buy, the one near me, in Delaware, always has 5-6 returns or display models, right now they have about 4 alu macbooks and one white macbooks, they knock 10% off the price.

I was lucky, I got my white Macbook for $549, it was a display model, no battery and just the power cords, I got a battery using my education discount at the Apple store, paid $116, so I made out, since then I bought a Microsoft bluetooth mouse, HP H470 portable printer, a 1TB External HD and a Hanpsree 20" monitor, along with a cyberpower 425va backup to protect the macbook, hd and another strip I have on it it is a pretty nice setup.

Attached Files:

8. secondfox macrumors member

secondfox

Isn't there a site that has a MacBook for $799 after $200 rebate? I can't remember what it is.

@RDM3: Yeah, that does look like a nice setup. How much was your monitor?

9. RDM3 macrumors regular

I paid $159 at Best Buy, then it went on sale the next week for $149 and now the regular price is $149, here are the specs....

HDMI, 5ms response time, Wall Mountable, 1600x900 resolution, Built in speakers, tilts, 15,000:1 contrast ratio

10. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

One thing to consider, if you buy from Best Buy you can get the total coverage including accident insurance which covers dropping spilling etc. Seems better than AppleCare.

11. Germwise thread starter macrumors regular

12. RDM3 macrumors regular

The Best Buy coverage? 3 years Geek Squad Black Tie Protection $299.99