Getting your max download speed?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Necross, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Necross macrumors member

So, I'm at work downloading some super high res images for a project, the files are all 100-200 MB each. I start downloading the first file, and it's topping out at 100 K / Sec. I click to start downloading the 2nd file, it adds it to the download manager list thingy, and suddenly my first file drops down to 80K/sec, but the new file is also 80k/sec. The more files I add to the list, the more it seems my max can go, up to like 500k if I do the math right.

So, if my speed can go that high with multiple files, why is it so low when I download just one? Is there any way I can tell my mac to always use it's max download speed no matter what?

I know my speed can also vary based on the server it's hosted on and whatever is happening between us, but it just seems like my Mac is able to download a lot more when there's multiple files than when there's just 1.

2. Hansr macrumors 6502a

It's because the server is set up this way. Nothing you can do about it.

3. Necross thread starter macrumors member

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

You can test the speed of your connection here: http://speedtest.net/
    If the result matches what your connection speed should be, there is no problem with your computer.

And yes, I am getting my max download (and upload) speed on my MacBook Pro. 50 Mbit/sec down and 50 Mbit/sec up. Sometimes a little more, actually.