GettinglLine-in microphone signal only on left channel

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cifra, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Cifra macrumors newbie

Cifra

Hi guys,

I have a really annoying problem with my mic input. I have a Santa Rosa Macbook 2,1.

The built-in mic works fine, records very well on both the L and R channel, but whenever I plug-in my cheap Sony mic it records only the left channel in stereo, right channel's silent. Now I know this is a real problem because I get the same problem with the other mic, a sennheiser. I tried recording in Audacity and GarageBand, same stuff.

Did I break the input somehow? I don't believe I did, I normally handle my Macbook carefully and it never fell or got hit.

Thanks in advance :)

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Is it a stereo mic?

Otherwise you need to tell apps to use the one signal for both left and right channels. IIRC

3. Cifra thread starter macrumors newbie

Cifra

Yeah, you mean I should use Mono.
    Mono works, but it is of a much lesser quality than the signal in Stereo. Plus, if I'm not wrong before I had this problem it recorded fine in Stereo.

Is there a setting or this in the prefpanes? :)

4. Cifra thread starter macrumors newbie

Cifra

5. smilinmonki666 macrumors regular

I'm having exactly the same issue on my iMac 24" but it's only on my audio out... Grrr? Internal speakers work on both Right & Left perfecty, but no right on my headphone socket!! Any guesses? It shouldn't need repairing, it's not even a year old!?!

6. petemwah macrumors regular

in garageband in the input dropdown make sure that you've SELECTED MONO1 or MONO2 (probably MONO1 is what your mic's on). most likely you are using a mono microphone in stereo mode, hence it only coming out of one speaker.

Attached Files:

7. Cifra thread starter macrumors newbie

Cifra

So why do I have the same problem with Audacity?

8. eldy macrumors 6502