Gettting an Iphone 3g - some questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i-sidd, Dec 18, 2008.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

I know most of you have the iphone and would not be as excited as I am right now. I have been eying this for months and now I am finally going to get in in a couple of days.

I have a few questions:

1. After I get it from the store - How do I get with the battery calibration process?

2. Does it come with a wall charger?

3. Do I have to sync it with itunes?

4. How can I know which version of software it has.

5. How do I customize it.

I can't think of anything right now, but I am sure once i have it I will have to come back with more questions.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. Yes.
    4. Settings, General, About
    5. Jailbreak

3. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Wow Wow alot of newbie questions,

Yes includes charger... You should not calibrate until you see bad battery.

You calibrate it by using all the battery and recharging it

customize it? like adding music with ituneS? and downloading apps... is all in itunes is easy man.

You can jailbreak it if you want.

4. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

1. After I get it from the store - How do I get with the battery calibration process?
    You don't have to run the battery down right away, though it is a good thing to do about once a month. Run it completely down, let it charge right back up.

2. Does it come with a wall charger?
    Yes the iPhone 3G comes with a wall charger, though unlike the original iPhone, it does not include a dock.

3. Do I have to sync it with itunes?
    Yes, everything you do on the iPhone is through iTunes. Everything from activating it, to transferring your photos over.

4. How can I know which version of software it has.
    I can be found on the main iTunes screen, you can also navigate to settings, general, and then about.

5. How do I customize it.
    Customizing is something that the iPhone does lack, there are programs out there for a jailbroken version, that allow you to setup a wallpaper for the home screen, ect. Though you can use a wallpaper on the lockscreen, assign photo contacts, setup email, ect without any jailbreaking.

Hope that covers everything, any questions, feel free to let me know.

5. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the quick reply.
    So do I have to jailbreak to add my own wallpapers?
    Which is a good place to download good wallpapers.
    I just found out about custom ringtones through itunes and that is cool....

6. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

The 'official' wallpaper is just applying a photo to the initial lock screen. That is a built-in feature of the iPhone and such photos are available all over the place, or you can take your own. If you're looking to have a custom background behind all your application icons, then you'll need to jailbreak for that.

Regarding custom ringtones with iTunes, make sure you understand how to do it for free. There are many instruction pages out there if you Google for them.

7. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Once I sync photos or ringtones to the iphone, Can I delete them from the iphone?

As far as the wallpaper goes. So changing the wallpaper behind the apps screen will require a Jailbreak, that is what I was wondering. thanks for the reply.

8. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got the iphone last night, but I have so many questions as to how to use it.

I am totally lost with the iphone. These may be very basic questions for you guys.

How do I delete a contact.

How can I lock the phone.

If I open an application e.g - safari, app store and the click on the home button. does it automatically close those applications.

Is there a back button or do I have to keep going back to home.

In regular phones, there is a send button which when pressed shows the most recent calls made, is there something like that on the iphone.

How do I turn it to landscape mode?

9. gjw4u macrumors 6502

Hi i-sidd

How about reading the iPhone manual and tips you can download from apple.com, befor you ask such basic questions....

10. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, I apologize, I read a bit of the manual and found somethings out.

I have another question though. Do you guys create a separate album in iphoto such as contact pics, iphone wallpaper, personal and then sync those folders only or do you have to create a parent folder and have these sub folders.

Also, does the contact pics have to be certain size?

11. Hoagie52 macrumors member

Play with it! That the best thing about getting something new like this playing with the devise untill your eyes are burnning from looking at the screen all day. But hey that's just me.