Gettting tunes froma burned CD to ITunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KJChevy3, Jan 16, 2009.

1. KJChevy3 macrumors newbie

I have a CD with a bunch of different mp3 files, different groups and albums. Can I structure them by group and album under Music in Finder and then put them in iTunes?

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Are the mp3s already tagged with artist and album data? If so, just import directly into iTunes and it'll sort out where they go. If they don't have the tags, you can still import into iTunes and set the album and artist, and again, iTunes will move them around in the file structure to put them in the right places.

It'll use the structure Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/<artist>/<album>/<mp3>

3. KJChevy3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes they are tagged with artist/album/track/mp3. Probably not the way I wold like them so I was thinking if I put them in Finder/Music first I can organize and rename as i want before dropping them in iTunes.

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I always ask, why bother? Why not just let iTunes organize the music and don't worry about the file structure?

But if you really want to keep it organized yourself, go to Preferences -> Advanced and uncheck "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library"

5. KJChevy3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sure you are right, the easier for me the better. I haven't done this before, only imported packaged CD's, so I'm not sure how this is going to look to me. Basically I want to pick some of the tracks from this CD to be in iTunes, and I want them to appear as the rest, by artist/album.