Gettysburg?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by glocke12, Jun 10, 2010.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Ive had this week off from work, and for the most part its been spent getting caught up un house related stuff. Id like to do one or two day trips though before the week is out.

Been thinking about gettysburg. I was there once as a kid (30 years ago!)....but it was so long ago I dont really have strong memories. Anyone been there recently? Is it worth spending a day visiting ? I know its kind of a subjective questions....

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I took my family there about 15 years ago. We found it very interesting. At that time, there were auto tours. That is, you get a tour guide who drives you around in your car, so you can look and listen. Our guide was great! There was some controversy recently about demolishing the building that housed the Cyclorama (360-degree painting) but I don't know if it was saved. Go for it!

3. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I was just there last November, by chance on Remembrance Day, and it was totally awesome. All the re-enactors were out (though driving through town was a PITA).

I had loaned a buddy of mine a copy of Killer Angels and a few weeks later, we went up there and tooled around mostly on the south side of the battlefield.

We actually walked into a small wedding ceremony on the observation tower on Little Round Top. (I'm guessing it was the groom's idea.)

Everything was more or less exactly how I'd remembered it since I'd been there as a cadet 15 years ago. Well, except for the new visitor's center, but we didn't stick around there very long.

Completely worthwhile. It's one of the most documented and pivotal moments in American history. I recommend that you either read the Killer Angels or watch the Gettysburg movie before you. I think you get more out of it when you can stand on the spot where Lew Armistead stood across from Hancock, neither knowing that their best friend was facing them.

4. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I did that with my wife 2 Thanksgivings ago. The guide was very knowledgeable and it was an amazing experience. I don't know if you can make it an all day thing if there's nothing else going on, but you can spend a good 4 hours there.