Gevey question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by thomja1, Jun 16, 2012.

1. thomja1 macrumors newbie

Hello

I have purchased Gevey ultra S to unlock my iPhone from the network 3.

I will get the card on monday. I am wondering if I need to keep the custom gevey sim tray inside or if I can unlock in order to then later just use the normal sim tray and still have my phone unlocked?

Thanks

2. thomja1 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Demonface macrumors 6502a

well ive been informed that you have to use the Gevey Sim at all times and you have to use it with the sim in which you are unlocking it for.

4. thomja1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, do I need a jailbreak at all times for my sim to work?

Will it work when iOS6 comes out?

5. Demonface macrumors 6502a

if your iphone is CDMA then you need the jailbreak. As for iOS 6 they might need to make a new card but as for now it is still TBD.

6. thomja1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, that I know. But how do I know if it is CDMA or not? I am suspecting that it is GSM as it is locked to 3 in sweden.

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Sounds like a GSM phone since CDMA is US only.

8. thomja1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Heard that GSM is faster and the unlock does not require a jailbreak.

9. Demonface macrumors 6502a

Yes you are correct on this.

10. Sunsean macrumors 6502

Out of curiosity, how is the GSM version faster than the CDMA iphone? I thought they were built the same. (I do know that CDMA requires jailbreak to unlock).

11. Demonface macrumors 6502a

I think the CDMA version is slower because of the age of the technology. But GSM is an newer and more upgraded tech so it would be faster.

12. thomja1 thread starter macrumors newbie

does anybody know if ill have to buy a new GEVEY sim when iOS omes out?

13. Sunsean macrumors 6502

So even if a CDMA 4s is unlocked for GSM use with a gevey ultra s - it will still have slower data than a gsm iphone? Really curious about this, as I've heard conflicting things...I am using an unlocked Verizon on a straight talk sim card, and have been thinking about selling/buying a gsm 4s for this very reason (and for update ease...which I'm about to reply to).

----------

Yeah I'm pretty sure...not 100%, but I think so. Will at very least have to wait a while for ios 6 to be jailbroken and for them to figure out how to unlock it. One of the reasons I'm thinking of switching from an unlocked Verizon to an AT&T model.

14. Sunsean macrumors 6502

If anyone's interested I just sold my verizon 4s today and bought an at&t 4s replacement...restoring the new phone now...will observe for a couple days and see if data/service seems faster...i know that popping in my straight talk sim and having it pick up right away instead of having to wait 5-10 minutes for the unlock to work was a good feeling. Also happy to know that I will be able to update os without issue in the future...

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will have to stay on old baseband in order to stay unlocked.
    If you update you will lose your unlock and your gevey will be useless.
    Not even sure if gevey will put out a new adapter for the new baseband or when they will. Every time Apple updates its firmware it patches the exploits used to unofficially unlock iphones.
    So you either stay and be unlocked or upgrade and lose the unlock and sit there and hope for a new gevey to be released.
    And dont be impatient when you're asking questions, people have lives outside this forum. All help and advice given here is voluntary and free of charge.

16. Sunsean macrumors 6502

Ok guys...weird, but not even talking about data here, just the iphone usage itself...seems significantly snappier on this new att 4s than on previous unlocked verizon 4s...possibly because verizon one was jailbroken and unlocked, and this one is stock?

But apps/settings/camera all seem to open a good bit quicker...so far so good! :)

17. daooof macrumors regular

With each iOS update comes a new baseband (modem firmware) update. Even if it is simple to unlock, you'll still need a new gevey.

Also, CDMA is a much faster and more sound technology than GSM, whoever was making that comment.