Gevey sim and a 3GS with 5.15.04 baseband

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by adagio, Jun 10, 2011.

1. adagio macrumors member

I have read a lot of conflicting reports as to whether there is a Gevey sim option to carrier unlock a 3GS, and received advice on MacRumours that conflicts with what Applenberry (the official Gevey distributor) have told me in an email.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has actual, personal experience either way.

I have a 3GS that my boss gave me after he accidentally updated the baseband to 5.15.04. It is carrier locked to AT&T in the USA, I am in the UK. I do not want to use the iPad baseband option, as I do not want to fry the GPS.

Will a Gevey sim allow me to use this phone in the UK? Applenberry say no, and I can't see why they would tell me not to buy from them if this was going to work, but like I said, I've read a few blogs/posts etc that says this does work and not all of them seem to be from people who would have any sort of interest in misinformation.

2. oferl macrumors newbie

I would love too to know weather this is possible
    Thanks

3. tivoboy macrumors 68030

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

The Gevey is for iPhone 4 only. The Gevey SIM requires a custom iPhone 4 SIM tray that is made to fit its unique shape, so simply using the Gevey + Micro SIM + Micro SIM -> regular SIM adapter wouldn't be possible and it would also be extremely bulky. I have a hard enough time as it is getting my iPhone 4's SIM into my 3Gs with an adapter.

In addition to all of these factors, I also do not believe that the Gevey is even compatible with the iPhone 3G/3Gs basebands.

I have also heard nothing about a 3G/3Gs version of Gevey.