Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djkick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Ive looked around, but have yet to find a clear answer. Any help would be appreciated.
I have an iPhone 4, thethered unlocked with the Gevey Sim, baseband 04.10.01,*and want to update to iOS 5.
I have a tethered unlock.
My question is, is it possible to update the baseband without jailbreaking first? If so how? I used to not have to jailbreak, is this still possible? I DO have an AT&T sim to get passed the activation screen.
Any help? Thank you.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Ive looked around, but have yet to find a clear answer. Any help would be appreciated.
I have an iPhone 4, thethered unlocked with the Gevey Sim, baseband 04.10.01,*and want to update to iOS 5.
I have a tethered unlock.
My question is, is it possible to update the baseband without jailbreaking first? If so how? I used to not have to jailbreak, is this still possible? I DO have an AT&T sim to get passed the activation screen.
Any help? Thank you.

I think you confuse. If you update your Iphone to OS5 now with Itunes, Gevey will not work at all because the baseband has also updated. So, what you need to do is to update your Iphone to OS5 while preversing your baseband at 04.10. Therefore, what you need to do is to use sn0wbreeze (if you have PC) or Pwnage tool (if you have Mac) to cook a customs firmware, then restore your phone to that customs firmware.

Once you do that, you will have an Iphone with OS5 with baseband of 04.10 and you still can use it with Gevey sim.

shrtmkr

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2008
the apple
I think you confuse. If you update your Iphone to OS5 now with Itunes, Gevey will not work at all because the baseband has also updated. So, what you need to do is to update your Iphone to OS5 while preversing your baseband at 04.10. Therefore, what you need to do is to use sn0wbreeze (if you have PC) or Pwnage tool (if you have Mac) to cook a customs firmware, then restore your phone to that customs firmware.

Once you do that, you will have an Iphone with OS5 with baseband of 04.10 and you still can use it with Gevey sim.

My iPhone 4 is not jailbroken, can I just do the custom ipsw update without jail breaking? Also do I still need to tether it to my mac every time I restart the phone?

Thanks.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
My iPhone 4 is not jailbroken, can I just do the custom ipsw update without jail breaking? Also do I still need to tether it to my mac every time I restart the phone?

Thanks.

Yes, you can do that. As long as you don't jailbreak it with, then you don't need to boot tethered every time you restart your phone. The reason you do that because there isn't untethered available with 4.3.5 or OS5 at the moment.

jeans94621

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
Use snowbreeze to preserve your bb. First get a iOS 5 from the web. Google it and then make sure you have an AT&T sim card for activation. Follow the instruction on snowbreeze. If you don't want to jailbreak just pick the first option to preserve bb. You don't have to connect to a computer every time you restart you won't be jailbroken though. I redid my jailbreak after I installed the it because it was just to many things to do. It works great at stock with the new improvements.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
i did the snowbreeze thing but can't get Gevey ultra to work....I used furiousmod before and now that I have to do it manually it doesn't seem to work even with several tries, even when I follow the instructions seemingly to a tee...is it working for you?

tsg20

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2007
This is probably a very stupid question, but I'm not sure what the implications of all this are for those of us who use Gevey sims but don't jailbreak. I'm unsure what the implications of being tethered/untethered are for us; at the moment, is it possible for us to upgrade to ios5 (preserving baseband) and have a phone which can be rebooted without attaching it to a computer?

dmunkey

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
i did the snowbreeze thing but can't get Gevey ultra to work....I used furiousmod before and now that I have to do it manually it doesn't seem to work even with several tries, even when I follow the instructions seemingly to a tee...is it working for you?

I use the gevey on os5 with bb 4.10.01, you have to boot the phone with the sim tray out, just slide it about half way out or something, when the phone boots slide to unlock your phone, push the gevey back in, wait a few seconds until it begins to start searching for a network then you can start the manual process.

jeans94621

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
This is probably a very stupid question, but I'm not sure what the implications of all this are for those of us who use Gevey sims but don't jailbreak. I'm unsure what the implications of being tethered/untethered are for us; at the moment, is it possible for us to upgrade to ios5 (preserving baseband) and have a phone which can be rebooted without attaching it to a computer?

If you use snowbreeze and just preserve your bb then you won't have to use a computer to reboot your computer. Only if you jailbreak which is option two and three on snowbreeze. Just hit option one and that will just preserve your bb. I did the jailbreak one and I redid it to the stock. One it was just to much to do when starting my phone and my phone crashed and I was home but it scared me what would happen if I was away. Two gevey sim works much better without the jailbreak. And three just about all the things that I jailbreak for weren't updated yet so I am stock now and I kind of like it.

plympton

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
I use the gevey on os5 with bb 4.10.01, you have to boot the phone with the sim tray out, just slide it about half way out or something, when the phone boots slide to unlock your phone, push the gevey back in, wait a few seconds until it begins to start searching for a network then you can start the manual process.

Same process here. I haven't been able to get it to work when I boot with the Gevey installed, but if I boot with it out, it seems to work better.

Another thing I noticed, is that if I disable the Carrier logo in SBSettings, it is a 100% failure rate. Could be a coincidence, but....

Anyone know if the 15-second wait is:
a. Exactly 15 seconds
b. Less than 15 seconds
c. Anything more than 15 seconds

Also, is the 2-second 112 hangup:
a. Exactly 2 seconds
b. Less than 2 seconds
c. Anything more than 2 seconds

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
still no success...ah well guess I wait for furiousmod

andyweak

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
gevey won't work with 4.10.01 bb ios5

So I'm going a little mad now. I updated to ios5 preserving baseband to 4.10.01

I jailbroke with little problems.

I followed this tutorial..http://www.ijailbreak.com/iphone/unlock-iphone-4-with-gevey-sim-card-ios5/

I get to the point of turning airport on and off and it just doesn't find my carrier. The carrier option shows up but it just keeps searching and finally shows no service.

I've tried at least a dozen times. Tried with 3g on and off, reset network settings, turned off location settings. Nothing seems to work.

Anything I am missing here? My gevey worked like a charm with 4.3.3, but now I'm stuck.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me. I'd be willing to donate some cash if I get this fixed.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
So I'm going a little mad now. I updated to ios5 preserving baseband to 4.10.01

I jailbroke with little problems.

I followed this tutorial..http://www.ijailbreak.com/iphone/unlock-iphone-4-with-gevey-sim-card-ios5/

I get to the point of turning airport on and off and it just doesn't find my carrier. The carrier option shows up but it just keeps searching and finally shows no service.

I've tried at least a dozen times. Tried with 3g on and off, reset network settings, turned off location settings. Nothing seems to work.

Anything I am missing here? My gevey worked like a charm with 4.3.3, but now I'm stuck.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me. I'd be willing to donate some cash if I get this fixed.

Did you realize that OS5 is a tethered jailbreak? So, in order for you to get Gevey sim to work, you need to turn off/reboot the phone. Did you tethered boot up your phone?

andyweak

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
Did you realize that OS5 is a tethered jailbreak? So, in order for you to get Gevey sim to work, you need to turn off/reboot the phone. Did you tethered boot up your phone?

o yes, that is how I boot my phone. Through redsnow's "just boot", and then it starts. Then I go to setting/phone/sim applications and choose english. wait 15 sec. dial 112. hang up. turn on airplane mode until carrier goes away and then turn it off. Continue doing that until I go crazy, then repeat....nothing seems to work.

Thanks for the quick reply!

plympton

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
o yes, that is how I boot my phone. Through redsnow's "just boot", and then it starts. Then I go to setting/phone/sim applications and choose english. wait 15 sec. dial 112. hang up. turn on airplane mode until carrier goes away and then turn it off. Continue doing that until I go crazy, then repeat....nothing seems to work.

I'm having good luck with iOS 5 NOT jailbroken and my Gevey. There's enough broken with the iOS 5 jailbreak (imessage doesn't work, Springboard was crashing, random reboots) that I opted to wipe and reload with just a baseband preserved iOS 5, and wait until an untethered Jailbreak occurs.

We were out of town on Sunday, and my phone randomly rebooted, and I was DOA until I got home - bummer since I had no other camera! Anyway, with a non-jailbroken phone, I presume my reboots are history...

I followed this:
http://www.ijailbreak.com/how-to/preserve-iphone-ios-5-baseband/

Worked like a charm. I was trying all day to go back to 4.3.5, but kept getting an error (1), and that was with/without Tiny Umbrella, etc. I didn't try rolling back my iTunes, which I should have, but too much time invested... ugh.

Makes me think paying the $ for a contract-free unlocked iPhone isn't so bad after all!

-Dan

dmunkey

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008

Im not sure if you read my first post, where i said you have to boot with the gevey sim out/half out? Or else its NOT going to work.

Kingcodez

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2009
China
Just some of my personal experiences with the Gevey:
I bought mine here in Beijing, the guy told me of a complicated process which I tried for 6 hours to no effect. The launch screen is in Chinese so that didn't help.

What I do:
I shove the sim in, I never reboot, sometimes this takes 10 minutes or 10 tries to get the Gevey screen. Half the time I get invalid sim/ect messages.

Once the Gevey screen pops up:
I hit accept, then the phone is searching for signal.
The second that it finds one bar, I click on the phone and dial 112.
The call screen pops up (black) then loads my background image, once I see my picture, I generally take my time and push the home button.
Then I wander over to settings, and click on airplane mode.
Typically I have to wait 10-20 seconds, then it will say No Sim Card, then I take my time and flip it off. It takes another 30 seconds usually to get a signal and start up.

However, I live in a building with poor signal, 3 bars tops, two when I hold it. I think outside it will 'lock on' faster. Sometimes it doesn't want to do it, I will shove the sim in and out for 20 minutes straight. Sometimes I get a 'fake Gevey screen', this is when you get a bar of signal, then the Gevey screen pops up, and when you hit accept, it flips off.

When you get the Gevey screen you have one chance at getting a signal to '112' with.

Waiting 15 seconds IMO is stupid, because most of the time, this one bar will only stay 'alive' for 8-12 seconds. For me it does take many tries, but as long as I get a good Gevey screen and a bar 5 seconds or so after hitting accept, then it will work. If you have or get a bar immediately after hitting accept, IME it will not work, it is a 'fake Gevey screen'.

This phone pisses me off so much but I can't justify spending another $400 on an HK phone, the merchants here don't even want to buy my American phone, its radioactive.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
What results are you seeing? Where does it seem to be going wrong?

I've tried so many different techniques I'm having trouble remembering now. But I recall getting No sim message after hanging up 112 call (before I can even press home button). I also do not get any messages during the airplane mode part. I also tried another method where instead of waiting in airplane mode until you get a message, turning it on and off within 5 seconds, and in that case I just get caught in a searching/no service loop.

Derenic

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
I've tried so many different techniques I'm having trouble remembering now. But I recall getting No sim message after hanging up 112 call (before I can even press home button). I also do not get any messages during the airplane mode part. I also tried another method where instead of waiting in airplane mode until you get a message, turning it on and off within 5 seconds, and in that case I just get caught in a searching/no service loop.

i bumped into the same problem. (ending the call would take a long time and as soon as it was done, no sim card was appearing). so as soon as i clicked on end call, i minimized the call (even if it was not ended yet) and turned on the airplane mode and letting the error show up while airplane mode was on , i waited a little bit longer then turned it back off, and it worked.

----------

and about iOS5 i made a stupid and big mistake and not even thinking about the simcard after upgrade... i updated the the iOS using my normal iTunes with a gevey sim, and now i need the sim card which is competible with phone... i read there`s no way in making it work anymore... but is there really no other way than trying to get the AT&T sim card , which i dont have access to?

or is there a way to factory reset and reinstall the iOS5 using snow?

thanks

Derenic

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
downgrading

how will i be able to restore my old iOS using my old back up if it`s possible?

dmunkey

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
You dont need to wait 15 seconds after hitting accept. Once you hit accept, and the no service message appears at the top right, give it maybe 5 seconds. When i was waiting too long i was getting the no sim message and then you've failed.

David99

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
Is their another way to get around having the original sim card activation? I have a Rogers iphone 4 but I am using the gevey sim on at&t.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.