Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmac80210

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
Hello! I bought a gevey sim and when I try to use it on my iphone 4, it doesnt work UNLESS I restore to a factory firmware, then it will work once until you reboot it. By not working, I mean it goes through all of the steps but when it goes to connect to the network after the no sim card installed message, it gets bars but never says "T-Mobile' then after about 30 seconds of this, it just says "no sim installed" then "sim failure". This is my second gevey sim, and my first one was doing the same thing! I have no idea what I am doing wrong. During the 30 seconds where it does have bars it shows the little "E" for edge but then it just quits. I can also call and get calls during that time but when it shows the "sim failure" the calls just fail.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Hello! I bought a gevey sim and when I try to use it on my iphone 4, it doesnt work UNLESS I restore to a factory firmware, then it will work once until you reboot it. By not working, I mean it goes through all of the steps but when it goes to connect to the network after the no sim card installed message, it gets bars but never says "T-Mobile' then after about 30 seconds of this, it just says "no sim installed" then "sim failure". This is my second gevey sim, and my first one was doing the same thing! I have no idea what I am doing wrong. During the 30 seconds where it does have bars it shows the little "E" for edge but then it just quits. I can also call and get calls during that time but when it shows the "sim failure" the calls just fail.

Did you turn off 3G in settings?
That might be causing issues cause the iphone is not compatible with Tmobile USA 3G bands.

macmac80210

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
Did you turn off 3G in settings?
That might be causing issues cause the iphone is not compatible with Tmobile USA 3G bands.

Ya I do. As I said, it works after I restore, but when I reboot and try to unlock again, it doesnt work until I restore it again...

but thanks!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Ya I do. As I said, it works after I restore, but when I reboot and try to unlock again, it doesnt work until I restore it again...

but thanks!

That sucks bro, did you purchase the gevey from a reputable source to make sure its not a knockoff that doesnt function properly?
You said this is the 2nd one you got from the same place? Maybe return it and get your money back and purchase from another seller.
It seems to work fine for everyone else.

macmac80210

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
That sucks bro, did you purchase the gevey from a reputable source to make sure its not a knockoff that doesnt function properly?
You said this is the 2nd one you got from the same place? Maybe return it and get your money back and purchase from another seller.
It seems to work fine for everyone else.

I purchased it from gevey-3g.com? They have already replaced it. I heard that It might be my sim....haha might also be my phone. Really weird problem huh? I mean I just wonder why I have to restore it every single time. Haha thanks for your help bro.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I purchased it from gevey-3g.com? They have already replaced it. I heard that It might be my sim....haha might also be my phone. Really weird problem huh? I mean I just wonder why I have to restore it every single time. Haha thanks for your help bro.

No doubt, weird for sure.
Have Tmobile replace your simcard to see if that fixes it or not.

PhxF

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2011
Did you turn your phone off and then insert it, and then turn it on?

Zermelo

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2010
Try reseating the sim card and making sure that the contacts have proper connections, I had an issue seating the sim card correctly and it wouldn't work until I reseated it and ensured the contacts were making proper connection.

Vizzard

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
Same thing is happening to me

Exact same thing happens to me. I did different troubleshooting and it looks like is the sim that is the one not working. Using Firmware 4.3.3 BB 4.10.1 with Gevey Sim Pro

1. Tried a simple mobile sim with the gevey more than once. Works
2. Tried on two different phones the step above more than once. Works
3. Restored the firmware. Works only the first time(t-mobile sim), after reboot device can't get signal again. Restored again, works only the first time
4. Tried without jailbreak step 1 and 2. Same problem as step 3
5. Reset Network Settings. Did not work
6. Got a new sim card from t-mobile, same problem as step 3.
7. Downloaded ultrasn0w. Didn't help.
8. Called t-mobile asked them to reset the sim signal. Worked!!! for 1 1/2 day(lost signal)
9. Called them again. This time didn't work.
10. Installed Carrier Rest Fix. Did not work.
11. Tried many other troubleshooting options from youtube/websites
12. I NEED TO SWITCH TO SIMPLE MOBILE :mad:

Vizzard

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
I think i got the solution

The only thing that worked for me was going into Settings > Carrier (this should be available after you exit airplane mode, on your first trial of the gevey sim after it fails to connect.) > inside carrier you should let it search network, t-mobile and At&t should come out as an option(might take sometime but just be patient) at this point you should choose t-mobile as your option (DO NOT LEAVE IT AUTOMATIC). Make sure to have wifi, edge, and 3g off. Turn off your phone (wait around 10-15 secs > turn it back on, the gevey welcome screen should come out > Accept > new message with appear: Message-Carrier chosen is not longer available (Just press Dismiss or let it disappear. DO NOTHING at this point but keep going with the usual procedure; call 112 after first bar comes out; hand up after 2 secs, go back into settings (make sure that your 3g,edge,wifi is off, because on sbsettings sometimes I had 3g on for some strange reason); turn on airplane mode; after sim card message comes out turn plane mode off > next two warning message will come out (after the last one disappears) > then go to carrier in settings and make sure the Automatic option is not chosen (if it is, you probably did something wrong); the bar should not go up like before is going to stay in 1 bar but all of the sudden BOOM you get signal with t-mobile(be patient).

This works on Firmware 4.3.3 BB 4.10.1 and jailbroken(with redsn0w)
****!!!! TOOK ME A Week of troubleshooting to find this out.

GOOD LUCK!!!:p

Last edited:

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
Thanks for your feedback, Vizzard.

To the OP: the original Gevey website is applenberry.com, I'm not sure about gevey-3g. Apparently, the 'PRO' version deals with plenty stability issues as well. Most carriers can swap and replace your SIM card for free at any of their authorized retails, there are loads of them so one should probably be near you.. it wouldn't hurt to try!

Nibas

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2011
Solution?

Hey,

I was having the same problem thinking that the gevey sim only worked once. I was actually forced into restoring my phone like 3 times as well.

What my problem was is that even thought he gevey accept screen came up right when I turned on the phone, the procedure wouldn't work...

OR!!! the screen wouldn't come up at all...sooooooo

Then I was like...WTH - let's try this. So i tried a couple of things...

What ended up working for me was...

Settings - airplane mode ON - pop up no sim installed, OK - remove sim - insert sim - airplane mode OFF.

Then I was given 1 status bar, searching, and then gevey sim instructions and accept menu popped up again :) Procedure worked this time as indicated on the accept menu.

Have tried it a few times since then. Works well.

Cheers

Heartytan

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2011
hey,

i was having the same problem thinking that the gevey sim only worked once. I was actually forced into restoring my phone like 3 times as well.

What my problem was is that even thought he gevey accept screen came up right when i turned on the phone, the procedure wouldn't work...

Or!!! The screen wouldn't come up at all...sooooooo

then i was like...wth - let's try this. So i tried a couple of things...

What ended up working for me was...

Settings - airplane mode on - pop up no sim installed, ok - remove sim - insert sim - airplane mode off.

Then i was given 1 status bar, searching, and then gevey sim instructions and accept menu popped up again :) procedure worked this time as indicated on the accept menu.

Have tried it a few times since then. Works well.

Cheers

this actually worked for me.

topspinner

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2011
Finally The Best Solution I ve Found

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QxpBXmwMT8&feature=related

I think this is the best solution for GeveySim either original or not
1 - first shutdown 3G and Data
2- Activate SIM pin
3- Reboot
4- Enter PIN LOCK and continue to press OK many times until sim unlock Success appears
5- THE GEVEY Message will appear shortly after
6- do the 112 and the Airplain On/Off till SIM LOCKED message appear
7- enter the PIN number and press OK ONCE (((( ONLY ONE TIME ))))
8- Enjoy Your Unlocked Iphone

Thanks 4 You All

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.