Gevey sim works with iOS5

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iPhonelover72, Jun 11, 2011.

1. iPhonelover72 macrumors newbie

iPhonelover72

So I guess Apple failed to disable the gevey sim hack again.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good news.
    But lets not get too happy, this is only the 1st beta;)

3. Sixtafoua macrumors 6502

Sixtafoua

I don't understand why iOS 5 still has carrier locks, didn't apple say they didn't have exclusivity with any carriers worldwide? So why do they still care which network your phone runs on?
    I feel like if you spend $600 for a contract-free iPhone, it should be unlocked.

4. blesio macrumors regular

If you spend 600 bucks on an unlocked (contract free) phone then it's unlocked. This sim is used on locked phones which you buy of someone who bought the phone locked down by a carrier. Apple is not the one locking phones, the carriers request to lock the sets.....so you need that sim to override the lock. It's that simple.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They never said they don't have exclusive agreements with carriers.
    The lock is put there by carriers and apple gets a big check in return;)

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

beta for IOS 5 baseband is 4.10.01 same as 4.3.3. so I don't see why it wouldn't work. I doubt they will update the baseband till the official release of IOS 5. Also even if you buy phones out of contract you might still be locked. Those of us in the US know this my biggest gripe with AT&T. We can't beg barrow or steel a factory unlock.

7. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

actually beta one has 4.11.04 baseband... or at least mine did haha but i was able to downgrade back to 4.10.04 baseband. will be interesting to see with the new rumours about hybrid gsm+cdma to see if the new ones will come unlocked or not

8. bbmiLo macrumors regular

How is Apple not the one locking the phone?
    I paid $600 at Apple store, the whole transaction had nothing to do with AT&T. Apple still locked the phone to AT&T.

That's just wrong.
    $200 should get you a locked phone with contract attached.
    $600 should get you a unlocked phone.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    It doesnt make much sense but for some reason is allowed. Welcome to the USA:D

10. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

+1

Let's just hope the rumors are true and the unlocked 4's are coming to the US this Wednesday. I'm on T-Mobile but my 4 is still on the 1.59 baseband. I'd love to sell one of my other 4's and get a factory unlocked to use with iOS 5.

11. blesio macrumors regular

So how could you be so foolish not to ask whether the phone is locked or not. Have you not checked on the Apple store whether the phone is sim free? Last time I checked there were no unlocked phones on the apple pages. The strange thing is that you pay the full prize for a locked phone.
    I've heard that AT&T is exclusive for apple so why should they unlock.
    We here in Poland have a little better, one of our carriers sells sets without simlocks so it's less problematic :D

12. jigsb007 macrumors 6502

Just wondering,
    currently i have Iphone4 lock, and i am using gevey sim to use on t-mob ile . but the data connectity is crap, EDGE only,
    will this unlock phone give 3G on Tmobile ?

13. kre62 macrumors 68000

No, the frequencies tmo uses for 3G are not supported on the 4. The 5 should have them.