Gevey Ultra w/ furiousmod

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Andrew83Ga, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Andrew83Ga macrumors regular

So I'm moving to Spain and want to use my iphone instead of a cheapo phone I got last time with the pre-paid plan. I found that I can get a pay as you go SIM with unlimited internet, and like 600 texts for about 25 bucks a month.

Im sketched out by the 112 thing, but Im jailbroken, so I've read that I can avoid 112 with the furiousmod app in cydia. How does that work? I just don't want some foreign cops knocking on my door or getting in trouble ! lol

Im on 4.3.3, iphone 4. Ordered the Gevey Ultra with the SIM cutter too.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

if your moving to Spain I cancel the Gevey or sell your phone the Gevey unloced either way I'd sell your phone and buy a factory unlocked which you can do through Apple in the US now. you will probably have to spend 2-300 out of your pocket but it will be worth it. all things point to Gevey not working 5.0 up! and you never need to worry about a official factory unlocked phone.

3. Andrew83Ga, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

Andrew83Ga thread starter macrumors regular

I appreciate it, but that doesn't really answer my question at all.

Im in no position to buy a 600 dollar unlocked phone, and Im leaving in less than too weeks, I couldn't possibly sell what I have, and buy the new phone even if I had the $. And also, I couldn't care less about 5.0. I just want a usable iPhone there.

4. nd4speed macrumors member

It works great. Once furiousmod is installed, just reboot and it will automatically acquire the carrier. Only thing is you need to jailbreak with something other than jailbreakme or it won't install properly (at least it didn't for me, I had to use redsnow). The 112 thing isn't that bad either, you hangup before the call before it has time to connect so "supposedly" it's not illegal, but still a hassle if you lose all battery power you have to do it all over again.

5. Andrew83Ga thread starter macrumors regular

Hey thanks alot for the input.

I have the furiousmod repo installed in cydia, but every time i launch cydia, i get errors. I have the actual red furiousmod app downloaded already and all of that, and to be honest, I don't know if those errors when I open cydia affect anything or not..I'm sure a more knowledgeable person would know how that works. But I suppose Im ready to go once I get there. Just buy a SIM, cut it, and pop it in? Or should I have waited to mess with furiousmod until i was ready to change SIM's?

I jailbroke using the pwange tool 4.3.3.1.

Thanks!

6. nd4speed macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

No problem. Since furiousmod installed ok it looks like you're good to go. AFAIK it's fine to leave it on even though your Gevey SIM isn't installed yet. If it fails for some reason at least you can always fallback on the 112 method which always works I'm told.

7. Andrew83Ga thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I figured that if I can't get it to work right away, I'll just try to re-install it or even re-jailbreak the phone and follow Gevey's instructions from scratch. I dunno haha.

But Ill be going in and out of subways and things like that, with the furiousmod, losing a signal doesn't matter right? It'll essentially be a normal and painless phone experience?

8. nd4speed macrumors member

Nope, not an issue. As long as furiousmod is installed correctly it's always automatic. It does take a few seconds longer than than normal to acquire a network but it's not bad.

9. Andrew83Ga thread starter macrumors regular

cool good stuff.

Anyone know if pwange works for this? Or should I restore and jb with redsn0w? The instructions on the website specifically tell you to use redsn0w, but Im wondering if there is a difference.

Can anyone confirm that furiousmod works with the pwange jb?

10. ipader macrumors member

Will Gevey Ultra w/ furiousmod work with an iphone 4 - 5.0.1 with baseband 4.10.01 ?
    Can someone verify this? I will be traveling to china next month and will need my phone!

11. braxton34 macrumors member

Yes, works great on iOS 5.0.1 with older baseband.
    You need the latest version of furiousmod- i believe it is 2.0 (if you have the genuine gevey ultra).
    If you have a Gevey Ultra clone, install keyoke's repo to get working furiousmod versions for 5.0.1

12. ipader macrumors member

Just my luck..... Traveling to China on Business starting Sunday and I just couldn't wait until the 16th when ATT said my phone would be unlocked. I had to make sure I had my iphone 4 working for the trip. Yesterday, I went out and purchased a Gevey Ultra and then last night I received the email from ATT saying my phone was unlocked! I waited 3 months before springing for the gevey ($25)....I should have waited one more day! :(