GF's Unibody MacBook has super slow internet...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steamed.hams, Nov 7, 2009.

1. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

2.0 Ghz 13" Unibody Macbook w/ 2 GB DDR3 RAM, purchased March 2009, running 10.5.8

All software loads very quickly, and even safari and firefox open up very quickly upon startup. However, there's an enormous lag between page loads on all browsers, which has only been happening for the past couple days. It takes 10-20 seconds for most sites to load. This problem only started happening 2 or so days ago.

My early '08 macbook pro (2.5 GHz Penryn running snow leopard) is connected to the same wi-fi, and all browsers are extremely fast without any major load times.

Any ideas to what could be causing the problem on my girlfriend's unibody mb? Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Try reseting the Safari (Menu Bar -> Safari -> Reset Safari...)

3. steamed.hams thread starter macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

Thank you for the reply, Hellhammer.

Safari and firefox have both been restarted multiple times. The macbook itself has also been restarted a few times in the past few days. In addition, software update shows that all software is up to date...

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Have you tried reinstalling Safari? Also, try connecting it to modem with Ethernet cable so you can exclude the possibility of broken AirPort

5. boston44 macrumors 6502

I've had the same problem with my 2.26 GHz. At first it was snappy, now it's slow. I'm going to reinstall safari as hellhammer suggested. Good luck.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you are running Snow Leopard, don't, do it for FireFox instead. 64-bit Safari that comes with 10.6 can't be downloaded from Apple so you would have to reinstall OS X

7. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

He meant RESET not restart. Have you tried the former?

8. steamed.hams thread starter macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

Safari has been re-installed, same problem. I'll try the ethernet cable, thank you .

Yes, pardon my mistake. I've tried reset and restart.

9. jpefjr macrumors regular

jpefjr

Does this mean that the page takes a long time to start loading but once it starts loading it finished quickly? If so you might try going into Applications->Utilities->Terminal and run the following command:

nslookup www.yahoo.com

Just make sure that whatever address you use - in this case www.yahoo.com - you haven't visited in a quite a while. If the answer takes a while to come back you probably have a DNS problem.

10. steamed.hams thread starter macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

Hi all.

We went to the apple store, and it seems that the problem lies with our home wifi network. This was confirmed after the "problem" macbook performed 100% normally under the apple store wifi...

Thank you for all your help and input!

11. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

use onyx,

clear the cache for internet.

that should speed things up.

12. redcrow240 macrumors member

If you open your macbook too far away from your wifi, it'll be slow because it didnt lock on well enough to your router. This happened to my old unibody macbook. In the beginning, you should open your macbook close enough to your router so it locks on to the signal better, THEN move away from it.

13. mainomega macrumors 6502

My GF's 17" uMBP shows the same behavior. When she's at home her internet crawls (COMCAST) but when she comes over her internet speeds are great (DSL - ATT). My DSL is only 6M/768K her Comcast line is 20M/1M thought !

At first we thought it was her old Comcast provided router so she call them they send a new unit with wireless-N but still the same problems! While at Starbucks her internet doesn't lag either, only when at home. She has a couple of PCs for routine business and none of those exhibit the same problem. So it is only limited to her uMBP...

I'm out of suggestions.