Gfx Cards and Heatsinks...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by UltraNEO*, Dec 20, 2008.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I'm curious about something... and I don't know either way. So'd I thought I'd ask you people for advice.

Does anyone know, would removing the manufacturer's heatsink from a
    videocard, void the warranty? Cause I'm considering purchasing some passive heat-sinks for both of my ATI HD3870. The objective is to reduce the noise level, the bleedin fans on those cards annoy the hell outta me... I swear, together they make more noise than the actual system, even with the front coolers running!! :(

Also.. would users who've moded their cards like to share with me, their heat-sink of choice? Preferably the fan-less variety. :)

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Generally, it does, although I don't know if anyone bothers to warranty-seal those things. There are some companies like EVGA that allow you to replace the cooler, but every company I've seen that allows it specifically says so in the warranty terms.

3. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Ahh... I see.

How about the ATI HD3870 Mac&PC Edition?

I have two of them. Now either ATI has seriously gone green with a completely paperless manuals or some things a miss. Looking in the box there's a load of cables, a CD with drivers and no sodding manuals other than a sheet of paper... lol

4. MacVidCards Suspended