Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone2g&3gfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Orlando, Florida
Helloo everyone,

I have a small wondering. I will get a used 06' Xserve and am aware of the fans issue. The Radeon hd 2400 XT that comes default on the iMac 08' I believe means that the Radeon HD 2400 XT gets out of the box OS X support. I will get a 2400 PRO for the convenience of a dvi port and not a dms-59 port. Are the OS X drivers for a card specific to the model, or will it work with all cards with the same chipset? Cuz the HD 2400 XT and PRO have the same chipset. Also the XT apparently has audio over dvi with an hdmi adapter, which I have. Does the PRO feature that? And on the XT, some versions have dual dvi and not dms-59 and some vga, and dvi. Does the audio over DVI work on those ones? I have a monitor with hdmi input and optical out, and will be using that to my av surround reciever. I just need some clarification. Also can you use the integrated and pci-e card at the same time? bcuz I also have a 1280x1024 LG monitor to use with the build in x1300.

Thank u All,

iPhone2G&3GFan

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
I think you are looking into PC driver specs.
On a Mac, the minimum to support modern DVI/HDMI out is a 9400M Nvidia from 2008/2009. On older cards, all video decoding comes to the processor, and you will need around a Core2Duo 2.5Ghz to handle it without hiccups.
Audio has to be done with optical out. You won't be able to get it out of the DVI port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.