gfxCardstatus actually working for everyone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozreth, May 17, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Everybody seems to be enjoying this app, and I think its great but it just dosent work for me.

I clicked intel only. Proceeded to open up Bioshock to test it. Lo and behold it switched to nVidia. Even worse, it is now stuck on Nvidia, even after a restart. I set it back to dynamic switching and it just stays on nvidia, even with every application closed :confused:

edit: Bah, just realized there is a relevant thread right above this one.

2. bitninja macrumors regular

bitninja

If you're having issues, I'd be more than happy to help troubleshoot! :) Just shoot me an email: cody [at] codykrieger [dot] com

3. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Cody, I m having some issues as well...sometimes it works, sometimes it disappears and I cant get it to load again...any help would be appreciated :)

4. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I've tired before... Not that good, I think is OK if you just wanna to know which Graphic Card is online, instead of going to the System profile

Otherwise I don't recommend and it's not working well!!

PS: The updated version let you to force the Mac to use either Intel or Nvidia, again, is not working very well

5. NINReznorist macrumors newbie

I don't know why its not working for you. I'm using it just fine and it works 100% and my buddy is using it for his 9400/9600 and his too is working 100% so far.

Awesome app Cody! Thank you!

6. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

It seems when I open Chrome, it forces the 330M even though I have the app set to force the Intel and then I can't get the app to load agains until I close Chrome...:mad:

7. Bosmonster macrumors member

So far it has worked perfectly when it comes to detection and switching.

I just have a bug that it will not load on boot even though I checked that option. Have to start it manually.

8. bitninja macrumors regular

bitninja

That's weird...I suggest redownloading it and replacing the one you currently have. I haven't seen anything like that before. Same with your problems with Chrome. As long as you have the latest version it shouldn't do anything like that - I'm running Chrome right now with no issues.

Sorry to hear of your difficulties! Mind elaborating on your issues so that I can try to troubleshoot or at least fix in a future version?

No problem! :)

That's why that checkbox is grayed out. ;) It doesn't do anything in the currently released version yet. That's fixed in the prerelease version that's up on GitHub at the moment, should be in the next release in the near future.

9. piwi macrumors regular

Cody, while you're here, I just wanted to thank you for that great piece of software! It's worked perfectly so far on my 2009 unibody MBP! :cool:

--edit: except it's not loading at boot but as you pointed out it's not intended to. To Bosmonster: you can add it yourself under Accounts > Login items until it's built into the software.

I have a question though Cody, what more did you do for the 9400/9600 Macs that Apple didn't do to allow switching without logging out?

10. Ack macrumors member

It's working great for me. Note that when switching from the discrete to the built in GPU the setting doesn't stick permanently. If an application triggers the discrete GPU again it will switch over and you'll have to manually switch it back again. It's not ideal but it DOES work, and it's much better than just having to live with whatever settings the OS decides you need.

11. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

works for me, I maybe in the minority here, but I don't see the difference between the 2. probably because I am not much of a game player, more of a developer.

12. huythanhv2 macrumors regular

13. bitninja macrumors regular

bitninja

No problem! :) The startup thing mentioned will be fixed soon, so no need to worry about that. The same method is used in the 9400M/9600M GT Macs that is used in the Intel HD/330M ones - gfxCardStatus just talks to the AppleGraphicsControl driver and forces a switch to the inactive GPU. There is literally no difference in that code. The driver works the same on both types of systems. I'm not too sure why they didn't implement something like this from the start, even for the older 9400M/9600M GT Macs. It's kind of confusing.

Huh...that's weird. Which version are you using? If you're using v1.7+, it should stick given that you switch before you open up any 330M-dependent apps.

Glad it works for you! I definitely see the difference between the two in Portal...:D

Thanks! No problem. :)

14. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Mine works perfectly, but I just wanted to chime in and say that it's people like Cody that make software like this and give it away that makes the Mac community so awesome.

Thanks for the hard work -- it's much appreciated!

15. bitninja macrumors regular

bitninja

Sure thing! It's my pleasure. :D

16. huythanhv2 macrumors regular

Hmm btw Cody, mine by default using Nvidia when it turns on. I have no idea why that happens (nothing in the dependency list). So it would be nice if there is an option like - use Intel when the machine turns on.

Thanks again =D

17. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Same as mine, it always is on nVidia, from boot.

Thanks for the app cody, it's working great on me, specially because its the only way I have to kick the Intel HD on.

18. bitninja macrumors regular

bitninja

No problem guys! :) When you switch it to Intel/NVIDIA Only, it unchecks the preference in System Preferences > Energy Saver for dynamic switching. If you switch back to dynamic in gfxCardStatus, the setting is reenabled. So if the last setting you used was one of the 'only' settings, it will start up on the 330M since dynamic switching is off, according to OS X. The next update will support remembering your last mode, so it can start up with the Intel GPU on if you desire. :)