Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smc333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Boston, MA
Hi All,

I thought that I had read a while ago that forcing integrated on a machine would not work in Mavericks...

On my Mid-2012 15" rMBP, I just downloaded the program and forced integrated (I have 0 need for the nVidia, ever, and iPhoto/Lync trip it on, which I suspected I don't need it for).

The apps have launched just fine with integrated, and all seems well (I checked System Info, and the card with all the attached data is the Intel integrated)... Is this really the case? Is this working fine for anyone else?

Thanks!
smc

c1phr

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
It works fine for me in all the apps that I've tried on my 2013 rMBP. I have noticed that this machine is much more tame in when it tries to call to the Nvidia card, where my old machine called it in text editors.

It did not work on my 2010 MBP starting with Lion, but from what I had read, that was a problem with that model.

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011
Here's a little guide to using GFXCardStatus:

First off, close every single application listed under "Dependencies" on the GFXBarStatus status bar menu. After that, switch to integrated only. It should work fine. Now, the issue is that if you open any "Dependant" applications and then quit all of them, the software automatically switches to "Discrete only". So, every time you do that, you'll have to set the software to "Integrated only" again.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Raptor

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
First off, close every single application listed under "Dependencies" on the GFXBarStatus status bar menu.
Strangely, I don't have any Dependencies in my gfxCardStatus v2.3 menu??
Now, the issue is that if you open any "Dependant" applications and then quit all of them, the software automatically switches to "Discrete only". So, every time you do that, you'll have to set the software to "Integrated only" again.
Once I've swithched mine to Integrated only, it stays so until I either log in again, restart or change the setting manually.
None of the usual suspects (PS, iTunes et al) will force dGPU once I've fixed iGPU via gfxCardStatus.
For some reason, this sticking of iGPU just requires usually 3 attempts on the menu. On first click it jumps back to Dynamic, on second to Discrete and only on 3rd it settles on Integrated.
PS You can also see the change in Energy Saver Preferences: it changes back to old-style two radiobuttons.

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011
Strangely, I don't have any Dependencies in my gfxCardStatus v2.3 menu??
Once I've swithched mine to Integrated only, it stays so until I either log in again, restart or change the setting manually.
None of the usual suspects (PS, iTunes et al) will force dGPU once I've fixed iGPU via gfxCardStatus.
For some reason, this sticking of iGPU just requires usually 3 attempts on the menu. On first click it jumps back to Dynamic, on second to Discrete and only on 3rd it settles on Integrated.
PS You can also see the change in Energy Saver Preferences: it changes back to old-style two radiobuttons.

I think Dependencies only appear if you're already running the discrete card.

As for the weird automatically discrete switching behaviour, I've noticed it with Chrome and VLC. Also, the other discrepancies might be due to different models.

Raptor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.