Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markab

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
UK
If I am running my MBP selecting the intel HD 3000 graphics with gfxCardStatus and I plug my cinema display in the graphics on the MBP crash and I have to hard reset switch to dynamic and then replug the display. Anyone else have this problem?

I find it annoying that programs like skype and twitter casue the dynamic switching to switch to the ATI card. These are programs that you want to leave running in the background but you don't want them to force the MBP to be power hungry.

Locodice

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
You need to make sure it's on dynamic or forced discrete if you're plugging in an external display.

Simple.

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
If I am running my MBP selecting the intel HD 3000 graphics with gfxCardStatus and I plug my cinema display in the graphics on the MBP crash and I have to hard reset switch to dynamic and then replug the display. Anyone else have this problem?

I find it annoying that programs like skype and twitter casue the dynamic switching to switch to the ATI card. These are programs that you want to leave running in the background but you don't want them to force the MBP to be power hungry.

If you have an external display you have to use the dedicated. The integrated graphics card isn't physically connected to the display port.

Chazn

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2011
Another issue with the Gfxcardstatus is that with "integrated graphics on" sometimes the graphics is distorted or garbles up while trying to start a Youtube video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.