Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toneLA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2013
Beverly Hills, CA
I recently installed gfxCardStatus on my rMBP to run some tests with Cinebench. (BTW I report nearly double the fps with the 750M vs. Iris Pro.)

My question has to do with the use of such program. Is there a risk to force Iris Pro only and not let OSX do its 'dynamic switching' thing?

I get a notification banner when it goes from iGPU > dGPU and vice versa so I know that my rMBP sometimes switches to dGPU when I watch youtube videos. Kind of an overkill if you ask me. I was then thinking about forcing Iris Pro and only use the dGPU when I need it.

Could it potentially harm my system?

Thanks for your help!

jcmendes

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2012
Portugal
To see youtube he change to dGPU?

What temps you have watchig youtube videos?

Sorry not anwser you, but i have da base 15 model, and think change to top 15 model, but if the dGPU is change for only flash, i don´t know what to do.

In my base model with only Iris 40ºC surfing and watching youtube.

thanks
JC

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
No it won't harm anything. But if you plug in some external display it automatically switches back to dynamic or dGPU only because only that one is connected to the output ports. Intel only works only for as long as you stay on the main display only. Personally I don't see any reason to ever switch on the 750M in OSX. It think that one is for gaming only which still works best in Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.