Ghost APPS ! is my mac haunted....what's happening ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamesedwardnolan, Jun 6, 2015.

1. jamesedwardnolan macrumors newbie

jamesedwardnolan

Hi All

I’ve been scratching my head with this one and I’m hoping someone hear might know the answer.

I have an early 2011 mac book pro spec as follows

• 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
    • 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    • 500 GB SATA Hard disk

I want to upgrade the memory to 8GB and change the Hard disk for a Solid State Drive.

I was looking at what size SSD to buy (240GB or 480GB) and so I looked at my current storage use. (I got this info by clicking the apple logo > About This Mac)

It breaks down as follows (I’ve rounded figures up or down)

• Audio 24 GB
    • Movies 13GB
    • Photos 18 GB
    • APPS 69 GB
    • Backups 532 MB
    • Other 3GB

What struck me was that APPS is 69GB. This seems like a massive amount of disk space. So I clicked (Finder > Applications > Get Info) and the Applications folder is 13 GB.

Here are the questions

1 – Why are APPS showing as 69GB in one location and then13GB in another?

2 – Which is the true figure?

3 – How do I sort this problem so that when I set up an SSD it is set up correctly. I don’t want to buy a 240GB SSD only to find that 56GB is used by ‘ghost APPS’

Any help will be much appreciated

Cheers

James

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Could it be that one or more of your apps has become "clogged up" with temporary files, etc?

Suggestion:
    Download something called "DiskWave":
    http://diskwave.barthe.ph

A small, free, very useful utility that will show you what (which apps?) are taking up the space on your drive.

3. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

Use AppCleaner for removing apps. Lots of apps leave behind folders with content as deleting the app only deletes, well, the app, not the other folders stored in different locations. AppCleaner searches for those folders and moves it all in the trash alongside the app you're removing.

Problem is though, you can't remove separate folders, use DiskWave for that. Next time you wish to delete an app do it via AppCleaner so everything is removed.

4. 0d085d macrumors regular

The 13GB figure is the size of everything in your /Applications folder, regardless of what it is.

The 69GB folder is the cumulative size of everything on your computer that Spotlight has found in its indexing and decided is an application.

I'm guessing that you have some large applications (possibly games?) somewhere outside of your Applications folder. Either that or your Spotlight indexing has just got itself in a muddle.

They're both "correct", they're just measuring different things (as above). The 69GB *could* be wrong, but the 13GB is almost certainly accurate.

You can use the free trial of DaisyDisk to check what's actually using disk space. That will give you a more useful picture of what's taking up space on your hard drive.