Ghost Armor Protectant install

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by camaroIOM, Mar 17, 2011.

1. camaroIOM macrumors 6502

I received Ghost Armor screen protectant for front and back of Ipad 2 today. Highly recommend this product for protecting front and back of display. Has a great feel and protect 100%. I have used invisishield and cannot stand the tacky feel or look. Ghost Armor is the same protectant used for cars and planes to protect against rock chips. I even use it to protect my cars radio display in 2010 Camaro. Hides fine scratches and they back 100%. I should get commission : >).....

It came via Fedex. Order on Monday and arrived today.
    [​IMG]

Comes with front and back cover for Ipad 2, Install instructions and soft cloth. (Ipad 2 and Sonic drink the the upper right not included)
    [​IMG]

Instructions state to use warm soapy water and saturate shield prior to installing. I used a small spray bottle along with small tool provided in a past kit with cloth.

Make sure you clean the Ipad well with lint free cloth. Be sure all fine dust particles are off surface. Spray shield with a large amount of soapy water. I recommend till dripping off edges. With wet hands and saturated shield apply to back of ipad. Align shield in place and start smoothing out film from the middle out. Easy to do until all bubbles and sides are down. Very easy to work with. If you miss align pull up and apply once more. In fact I noticed a very small piece of hair underneath film on this install. I raised film, sprayed more solution, removed hair and re applied. Takes minutes. While posting this allowing back to dry and then will apply front. More pics to come, but install so far.

Sorry about grammer and spelling---Trying to type fast.

[​IMG]

Front of Ipad film
    [​IMG]

In place and near speaker area
    [​IMG]

Seemless design. Fits well with these little tabs. Edges look more pronounced in photos, but fits very well near camera area
    [​IMG]

Edges still drying
    [​IMG]

Gives a Shine but hard to know in place
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will try to get some pics while installing on the front in a bit. Need to make sure drying well.

2. zMacintoshz macrumors regular

zMacintoshz

looks nice. how does it feel in the hand? its it sticky or unnoticeable?

3. camaroIOM thread starter macrumors 6502

NOT sticky at all...Feels almost like should be part of the pad. Much much much better feel than other shields I have tried. I just installed the front. Had to pull up once since type A personality when applying. The film has to cure for approx 24-48 hours and will have a hazy look. Haze goes completely away after it cures.

Here is couple pics from front install. Cover fits great and now can worry no more

Lots of spray
    [​IMG]

Going to town
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can kinda see slight haze here but that will all go away
    [​IMG]

Cover on working great no worries
    [​IMG]

Final with screen on...Cannot even tell its there
    [​IMG]

4. camaroIOM thread starter macrumors 6502

Wanted to say sorry for not warning about all the pics on the main post title.

I just handed ipad to 12 year old with no worries at all about getting scratches or knicks. My wife commented and stated feels like the normal screen when using also. She is MAJOR picky by the way!! Here is the link

http://www.ghost-armor.com/

5. itsmefudge macrumors regular

itsmefudge

Thanks. I never put a front protector on, cause I like the feel of the screen, but am interested in a back piece.

6. camaroIOM thread starter macrumors 6502

I would get the full coverage and see what you think. You might be surprised how much it feels like the glass when in place. Hardly tell its there

7. dstar macrumors regular

8. jjp007 macrumors regular

jjp007

Thanks for the code!! Now to find an expert to install it for me. Hate the ZAGG but idolize they have a kiosk where they will apply it for you.

9. jull macrumors member

jull

Does ghost armor cause any yellowing on the white iPad?

10. camaroIOM thread starter macrumors 6502

Would not think so....They stand behind there product and great service. Give them a holler to see. The product is the type seen on cars to protect against rock chips. I would think Ipad less sun than car

11. bluechipBMW macrumors member

Does it help with the glare? I checked the site but it didn't mention it so I was wondering if it helped at all or if it's the same in respect to the glare.

Thanks

12. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

^^^ Plenty of companies that use 3M clear plastic make claims to preventing rock chips. The real question you need to ask is, "Is the Ghost Armor UV stable?" and "What is the thickness of the sheet?"

If it is at least 2-3mm thick and UV stable, you will have little to worry from minor scratches or yellowing. If Ghost Armor meets these standards, it's worth buying, especially with the discount code.
    Tried going to their webpage, but it appears to be non-functional right now.

13. davwil macrumors newbie

14. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

It's not a raised hoop. It is the way the plastic sheet is cut, to allow it to adhere to the corners of the iPad without causing ripples or folding.

15. BadMoon macrumors 6502

I can't wait to get mine. I just ordered the back. Most people seem to think this brand is better than Zagg from what I can tell. So I'm pretty excited to see how it installs and feels.

16. Macuser1066 macrumors member

Have it on my 1st gen. ipad. Love this product. Since I keep it in a case, got it only on the front. Super protective and really indiscernible to the touch. Liked it so much went back and got it on my iphone 4 and husband had it put on his nook. We are lucky enough to have a kiosk in a mall not too far from where we live. Definitely putting on the ipad 2 when i score one!

17. jrm21 macrumors newbie

"Instructions state to use warm soapy water and saturate shield prior to installing"

And you leave the soapy water on throughout installation? Wouldn't the soap leave a residue or film when it dries?

18. camaroIOM thread starter macrumors 6502

I would call the guys and ask if they can send out small spray bottle like I have above. They used to send these out with other products. Ie ghost armor for first ipad and camaro. Works well without having to submerge. I just sprayed a ton on.

19. diacritic macrumors regular

How do you think the corners will hold up? Any chance of them becoming dog-eared?

20. todd03blown macrumors member

I see there is a Ghost store location close to me in the Atlanta area. Do you all know what they charge to install their products on an ipad2 or iphone4? I really like what I see and since they are so close and if the cost is not crazy I would let them install it for me.

21. camaroIOM thread starter macrumors 6502

Dog ears dont seem to be a problem in fact today working great and haze almost totally gone. You cannot even tell on the glass front at all.

Not sure about install cost. Really easy to do though

22. gigemzach macrumors 6502

Have you ever used best skins ever? How does this compare?

23. jrsmyd macrumors newbie

jrsmyd

After reading the review I went ahead and ordered one. Looks good, and straight forward to install. Might even get it the same time my iPad 2 arrives next week! :D

24. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

They sent me a few skins to review, I have to say they are much better then any skin out there.

They feel much better to touch than the others.