Ghost Armor Review

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ScubaCinci, Jul 17, 2008.

1. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I'm a new iPhone owner and relatively new to the site but I am in no way affiliated with said product. In fact, I have Invisible Shield on my iPod Touch which I am happy with but I thought I would try something different. There seemed to be glowing reviews on here and after I ordered, it seems the general opinion is that those are only people pimping the product. I can't say whether that is true or not. Anyway, on to the review...

The quick synopsis is - it's not any better or worse than Invisible Shield (my only only experience with a product of this type). Seems to be the same material, goes on the same and seems to provide the same protection (good for minor scratches IMHO). Frankly since they are so much alike, I would probably go with IS or BodyGuardz because they are cheaper if I was to do it over again.

I'm not an expert at applying it (as you will see) but I think I did a decent job - good enough for me. Note that the pictures were taken before, during and immediately after application. The bubbles may abate after it sets after the required drying time of 2 hours.

Attached Files:

2. ScubaCinci thread starter macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

More pics...you can probably see a few little bubbles. It's very much invisible otherwise. Note that pics are in chronological order. I hope this helps someone.

Attached Files:

3. ScubaCinci thread starter macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Here are a few more pics that are a little better...You can see where there was a bubble or 2 that I worked to the edge. I was too focused on the sides and missed them and had to use my fingernail to work them out. As mentioned, it has not fully dried yet so they may go away...either way, you can only see them when the light is just right and serves the purpose for me - protection while maintaining the beauty of the phone. If you are more careful than I was, it will look better I'm sure.

Attached Files:

4. heyp macrumors 6502

5. Joey7071 macrumors newbie

can you post pics of the front with the phone off to see how much orange peel it has?

6. ScubaCinci thread starter macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

It came with little strips to put on the bezel but I am not going to put them on...I think the edges will be too visible and collect too much dirt and stuff. Plus it will be a PITA. Unless you are careless with where you put the phone, those really shouldn't take too much abuse.

Joey - I am not putting it on the front...I am awaiting my Crystal Power shield...I don't want anything that can leave a residue on the screen (although the GA types are not supposed to either.)

7. ScubaCinci thread starter macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

This morning, it looks good. Except for the parts I screwed up, it is practically invisible. I'm happy with it.

8. UnknownElementX macrumors newbie

I also nabbed the GA set for the 3G and applied it last night.
    It was my first time using any of these sticky coverings so it was a bit of an arduous process, but not too shabby.

The front looks pretty nice and has little to none of that orange peel effect. if anything it actually could be too clear as it seems to make the screen more prone to reflecting (though I swear it makes the screen look sharper in a normal lighting situation).

The back was a bit tricky and I had trouble sticking the corners down. A large part of this I attribute to myself as I initially did not put enough activator spray on the sticky portions and had to reapply.

I called GA and told them that the edges werent fully flush (some tiny portions with air in the corners) and they said they would ship me a new cover and that they had recently redesigned the cut for the 3G as they were rushed when the phone first came out but recently improved upon the cut so that the corners wouldn't be as problematic as they were for some people (aka me).

So overall I think this works well and from the pictures I've seen on other threads of that orange peel effect, the GA face cover definitely seems superior.

9. ScubaCinci thread starter macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

*UPDATE* So the power support crystal film that was delivered to me was for the old iPhone (THANKS POWER SUPPORT :mad: ) I went ahead and put the GA on the front. It looks awesome. I can barely tell there is anything on there. I am very happy with the results. I will post pics shortly.

10. ScubaCinci thread starter macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

There's a little bit of "orange skin" texture but you can't feel it or see it unless you look at it at just the right angle in just the right light. There's a little bit of lint etc around some of the edges...that's from being in my pocket all night ;)

Attached Files:

11. twynne macrumors 6502a

Just wanted to add I think this is one of the advantages of the GA product as opposed to IS. All of the IS photos I've seen show it only partially covering the bezel (which makes it look horrible!) The GA comes with separate pieces so you don't have to use them, but if you do they should fit perfectly.

I personally don't plan to cover the bezel or the front. I've had an iPod Touch since they came out and with the shield (IS in my case) only applied to the back, the bezel and screen are as new as the day I got it. I really don't think the glass front or bezel are at risk unless you have a habit of putting it in a pocket or bag with other sharp objects (which I never do).

Thanks to the OP for the photos - very helpful. :)

12. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Oh, I really like the way that works...do you think that when plugging in items like earbud and charge cords, that it would start to peel away around the edges?

13. ScubaCinci thread starter macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

It shouldn't if they are sealed down good on install, they are cut far enough away from the connector holes to not interfere.

14. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

How many attempts does it take to get it right? :p

15. timirving macrumors member

I got one too...

I too received my GA sheild on Monday. I could take pics but mine looks exactly the same as the OPs except my 16G 3G is black. Also, the corners of my GA (top corners) ocassionally unstick in a very small part, with just a little pressure, it re-sticks. If this doesn't work itself out in a few days, I'm going to install the Bodyguardz I ordered.

In addition, my screen sheild has some defects in it....very slight but they're there. I contacted GA and they said they'd send a new one out ASAP. I too ordered an IS and tried to instal it first. The back cover IS was a PAIN IN THE ASS to install, it took a while and the corners would not stay down after a couple of hours, that's when I pulled it off and installed the GA. The installation was pretty quick, not too much or a problem.

I also ordered a BodyGuardz, if the new GA screen protector has any sort of defect, I'll install the BG.

All-in-all, I'm happy with the GA. I wish I ordered the Bodyguardz first though as I really appreciate getting 2 screens....as many of you have experienced, there can be problems with the first installation/product and it's nice to have a back-up rather than waiting for a replacement.
    -Tim