Ghost in the Machine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ropedartman, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Ropedartman macrumors member

Hello all,

Apple I and are stumped on the issues with my MBP, perhaps you could help? I believe it to be a late 2009 uMBP 2.8ghz with 4GB. Been great up until I installed Lion recently. Immediately after that things got glitchy, particularly with the graphics such as Mission Control. In MC, things would move around on their own, they called it a "ghost in the machine". Yeah, cool movie... anyway. It's like a delay between moving something and it actually happening. Some apps just open themselves and won't close out completely (itunes, iphoto, etc). We reinstalled Lion several different ways, same problem. Apple did a test with an ext. hard drive and said it had to be my HDD. After a long weekend of fumbling through replacing the HDD...no luck. Same problems. What else could it possibly be? I'm considering going back to SL and seeing how it runs, I had no problems before Lion.

Thoughts?? Thank you.

A

2. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

that's crazy, I never heard of this. I would definitely go back to SL that seems like your only real option right now

3. Ropedartman thread starter macrumors member

I'm guessing Logic Board based off of what I've read, anyone have any experience with that?

4. ranviper macrumors 6502a

ranviper

It's a ghost...or a demon. Pray for it.

Or just go back to SL.

5. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Someone just went and watched Paranormal Activity 3, haven't they? ;)

But in all seriousness, if you had no problems in Snow Leopard then I'd suggest restoring back to SL and sticking with that.

6. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

7. Detrius macrumors 68000

If it works fine on an external drive, then that means it's either your drive, your drive cable, the SATA on your logic board (highly unlikely), or software.

You've already swapped out the hard drive, so it's not likely to be that, but I presume you restored from backup, so you could have migrated bad settings that way. With as specific as your complaint is, it's not likely to be the hard drive cable or SATA, so really, that leaves software, be it a bug, or be it something unique to your setup.

8. Ropedartman thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your thoughts. Both drive and cable have been replaced and the software was downloaded from the App store rather than my backup. I like the idea of trying from different accounts. I will try that tonight!

9. Ropedartman thread starter macrumors member

The problem still exists logged in as different users. Any other thoughts?

10. Apok macrumors regular

11. Detrius macrumors 68000

That means it has nothing to do with anything in your user's home directory (assuming this other user was clean). It could still be the OS install. If you have space on your internal drive, make a second volume, and do a clean install of the OS on there. Don't migrate anything to it. If the problem exists here, you either have a hardware problem or it's a software bug (more likely to be hardware). If it doesn't the problem is in your original OS install.