Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
I've recently been using Sheepshaver to use OS 9 on my intel imac. When I'm not using Sheepshaver, I've noticed now that instead of the spinning beach ball in OS X apps I sometimes get the old fashioned "wrist watch." Is the "wrist watch" part of the OS X mouse pointer set? Either it's a glitch from Sheepshaver, or I'm under the wrong impression that the "wrist watch" never occurs in Tiger.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Some apps do still use the watch here and there. The type of wait cursor you see can depend on what (OS or app) is blocking.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Does Safari use the "wrist watch" cursor, or iTunes when an iPod is first connected? These are the programs where I often get the "wrist watch."

I haven't personally seen it in either of those. I do see wristwatches, and the old black and white beachball, from time to time in older Carbon apps that have been kept alive in X.

Do you happen to have any background-ish apps installed that tie into keypresses or anything like that?

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
I think they first started appearing after I ran Sheepshaver. But Sheepshaver is closed, and I've reset the computer many times, and the wrist watch still appeared. Nothing is running in the background, only iTunes and Safari. Are cursors a function of the OS, or a function of the program being run?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Are cursors a function of the OS, or a function of the program being run?

Both can control the cursor. The spinning color beachball usually means that the OS is waiting for an event, while the older styles usually mean that the app is waiting internally for something to happen.

I would be surprised to see Safari to put up a watch, because it has its own little dial indicator up in the toolbar, plus it's Cocoa. Add-ons/plugins may be a different story.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a wristwatch from iTunes, since it's Carbon and was ported over from the old Mac OS. But, the only wait cursors I've seen there have been the spinning pizza variety.

Odd.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
I guess the ghost of OS 9 has possessed my mouse :p

It's not that big a deal, it's just very strange. I just wish there were some sort of location or folder where I could view all of the different mouse cursors. Where would these system folders be, and what kind of file extension would go with them? I could look at the icon file and see when the "wrist watch" file was created or modified.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I thought that the wristwatch icon means that the app is "cabonized", or accessing a portion of the code or library maybe that is carbonized. Meaning it's not native OS X code, or coccoa, I believe.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
So do you think it has nothing to do with me running SheepShaver to use OS 9? Without SheepShaver, or any classic apps, the old "wrist watch" still appears on some OS X apps, even on an intel imac?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I thought that the wristwatch icon means that the app is "cabonized", or accessing a portion of the code or library maybe that is carbonized. Meaning it's not native OS X code, or coccoa, I believe.
You are correct sir. iTunes on INTEL still turns up ye' old wristwatch sans using SheepShaver.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
You are correct sir. iTunes on INTEL still turns up ye' old wristwatch sans using SheepShaver.

Yes it does. As does the "native" Lotus Notes, and even Safari from time to time. And the ****ing Finder. :rolleyes:

So do you think it has nothing to do with me running SheepShaver to use OS 9? Without SheepShaver, or any classic apps, the old "wrist watch" still appears on some OS X apps, even on an intel imac?

So yes, it has nothing to do with SheepShaver.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
So the ghost doesn't exist?

I would've been able to pull it off if it weren't for those meddling kids and their dog!

I'm glad to know I wasn't hallucinating after playing three hours of number munchers on SheepShaver. Jinkies! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.