Ghostbusters!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Jun 9, 2009.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Sounds good, I'm still picking this one up later. Once there is no big frame rate issues on the PS3 then thats the version I'm getting.

Bless

3. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

4. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

5. macfan881 macrumors 68020

this game has been great im loving it well written story game play is really fun i havent played online mode yet but still a fun game this maybe a top game of 2009

6. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Mine shipped but hasnt arrived yet :) Looking forward to it.

7. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Who you gonna call? :D

It's tempting, as a yound child I remember watching the film. But there's other stuff I'm waiting and saving for, such as Modern Warfare 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Prototype, Saw, and I still need to buy LBP, Resistance 2 and Madworld. Oh dear. :p

8. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I really like this game, I'm not usually one to actually complete games as I usually get bored and end up stopping playing half way through but I'm really pushing through this game - I'm on the last chapter with an aim to finishing it this weekend.

If you're a fan of the movies, you'll feel very at home with the game, capturing ghosts NEVER gets old and there's plenty of varied environments and enemies to keep it feeling fresh. Original voices etc is just the icing on the cake :)

9. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm unimpressed with the PS3 version to be honest.

It's just mediocre game with high production values and reasonable scripted story for a change.

But the dodging mechanic is pathetic, and you will end up flailing like a gimped lettuce on a number of occasions because you cant really get out of the way properly.

Cutscenes are done in-engine, but are pre-rendered and you therefore have no control, you cant look around whilst they are being engaged, and it just feels very disconnected from you the user.

I don't know....... just meh!

Oh and the 540p resolution hurts this game graphically... a lot....

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Majority of your complaints would be the same for the 360 version except the graphical ones so your unimpressed with the game...not just the version. I actually rented the 360 version because it has the graphic edge and I wanted the best.
    I didn't like it as much as I thought. The game is bland to be honest and the story was very "meh". The combat is cool and I really enjoyed chasing down the librarian from the movie but other than that it got boring fast.

It's a rent at best.

Bless

11. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I'm torn on this game. I'm going to wait for a $15 price point before I buy.

12. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

OK, I like this game. :) I couldn't resist the $30 price tag when I saw it in the store. I also figured that Atari deserved my support, because they published The Witcher.

I'm definitely going to buy the Wii version now, mainly to play locally with a friend, but for now Im going to enjoy the PC version. The controls for this game are REAL, no mouse tacked to a virtual analog BS like Dead Space as an example, and the game runs like butter, and more importantly it's FUN! :]

My only gripe is the cutscenes, they're low rez videos, which don't look anywhere as good as the actual game. I'm also a bit weirded out by hearing the voices I know on these stiff likenesses. For me it's ruining the humor.

Anyways, my friend is a huge fan of GB and was hesitant of getting this for his PS3, but I'm going to push him on getting it now. I figure that any minor shortcomings on some of the version is better than this game not being released at all.

I'm really glad I picked this up. The gauges on the pack remind me of Dead Space's setup. :)

13. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

What I don't understand about the PS3's shortcomings however is the fact that it was supposed to be the lead platform for this game...

So why is it running in near Wii resolution ?
    Why is it missing a lot of textures and particle effects found in the 360/PC versions ?

Just grates....

14. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I just call them minor ,because the core of the game is really good, but they are huge warts when it comes down to it. :)

The multi-player thing was a big FU excuse, and the PS3, well I think that shows their inexperience, or lack of budget or something. But then again, I recall both John Carmacd and UbiSoft commenting on the PS3's memory size posing a challenge when developing for that system.

Maybe they should have discounted the PS3's price to $39, since its rez is closer to a Wii. :eek:

15. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Thanks for your review. I've decided to just purchase the 360 version. I don't get why the PS3 version is not better either. It just doesn't make sense.

However, I'm not really surprised. Are there any cross-platform games that are designed with the PS3 in mind? Most are designed for 360 and ported to the Wii and PS3.

It is unusual that Sony is publishing it as a first-party title over in Europe when the 360 version is better.

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Yup theres games like COD4, Dead Space, Burnout, Mirror's edge, Street Fighter etc..that was made ground up on the PS3 and on par or slightly better on the PS3.

Ghostbuster isn't a first party title...the game rights was sold years ago and Sony picked up the publishing rights for Europe.

I'm still disappointed with the PS3 version because I would of definitely go for that version but its the inferior port and I can actually see the difference this time.

Bless

17. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Very fun, lots of references to the old Ghostbusters films throughout the entire game.

Shooting style kinda reminds of Gears of War 2, so I enjoyed it. I'd definitely recommend it.