Ghostery?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Schlagel, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Schlagel macrumors newbie

Hey all,
    I have begun educating myself about cookies, etc. that track you and I am looking to keep my browsing as private as possible. I came across Ghostery and it seems to have good reviews as well as nice features(not to mention its free:D), but when I was about to download it I received a message that said

"Install extensions only from sources you trust. Extensions can modify the appearance and behavior of Safari, and access your private information at websites."

I don't know if it is a good idea to allow them access to my private information at all websites... Any input?

Thanks a ton!

2. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

3. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

4. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Are you getting this via the Safari Exstention gallery? I have it and have had no issues with it.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Cut to the chase: Some websites were not working for the poster and this was tracked down to Ghostery.

B

6. Schlagel thread starter macrumors newbie

Ghostery.safariextz is what the download is named. I have not downloaded it yet so I have not had problems getting on websites, though that might occur later. I am just suspicious of them taking my information or changing the layout and behavior of safari.

7. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Well I had it on chrome on my windows machine for a while as it was interesting to see what sites are tracking you.

Interestingly this is off MacRumours...

[​IMG]