iPad Ghosting on iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Yebubbleman, May 26, 2014.

1. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

About a month ago, I bought an Apple Certified Refurbished 16GB WiFi-only iPad 2 (really because it was less than $300 from Apple and because there are times when I'd rather not put my $1000 iPad Air in harms way).

Just today, I noticed that the screen has a bit of a ghosting issue. I'd look something up quickly in the Wikipedia app and it'd take the interface a minute or two to fully disappear from the screen once I switched to the Facebook app, and then another minute or two for that interface to disappear once I returned to the iOS 7 home screen.

I have not noticed this degree of ghosting on my iPad Air, nor any of the other iOS devices that I own. Is this normal for the iPad 2? I still a month shy of my full two years of AppleCare+ coverage; is it worth taking it into the local genius bar? Or are they going to tell me that this is to spec?

2. twintin macrumors 6502

It is common on IPad 2 and have been discussed in another thread I think. I have it too, but have got used too it, so I don't notice it anymore.

3. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Normal? I don't believe so. My iPad 2 was purchased on launch day, sees heavy daily use, and has never had such an issue. If it was "common," then every iPad 2 would have the problem.

If you can replicate it reliably, by all means take it to your local Apple store.

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

No IR issues on my iPad 2.

5. Yebubbleman thread starter macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Took it into the genius bar. Guy told me that it was a normal issue and that there was no "option" under which he could facilitate a replacement. Next day, I called AppleCare, described the issue and they said it was not normal and that they'd put in the notes to replace it. They set up an appointment to get it swapped at the Genius bar, which I did last night. The guy at the bar this time said that while he's seen this issue more commonly on Mac displays like that of the MacBook Pros with Retina Display, he has not seen it as commonly on iPads, let alone the iPad 2; though he said he could not guarantee that the replacement would not have the same issue. (I figure if my replacement does have the issue, I should assume that, at this point in time, it's probably par for the course).

Pending the re-application of a Zagg Invisible Shield (which I do religiously on all of my phones, iPads, and iPod touches before using them in earnest), we'll see how it goes.

6. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    LOL, on your second visit did you happen to get the same "genius" that told you it was a "normal" issue, when AppleCare said it was not?

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

My original iPad always has such strong ghosting, that it is actually hard to read because the previous page is still visible. :D

8. Yebubbleman thread starter macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Heh. No, the second guy was a discretely different person. I think that the notes from AppleCare were the driving force behind getting it swapped.

That's so weird; I never had that issue on my first gen iPad. Nor do I have it on my Air. I'm told that ghosting is a side effect of IPS technology. I feel like that's something worth working on on the part of the display manufacturers.

9. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

iPad mini

I experience it too. After browsing safari for a bout a while and then leaving it on the same page for 5 minutes, go home and open youtube app or any app with darker splash page, I can see some ghosting. Although after the splash page, the ghost image is gone.

10. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

I've started experiencing ghosting on my iPad 1 since two months ago, nothing mayor, you'll get used to it but if you have a valid warranty, replacing it wouldn't be bad idea.

11. Yebubbleman thread starter macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Got it again on my replacement, which is the third that I've had since I bought the thing a month ago. So what, a fourth time and then I get to call customer relations and ask for a newer model?