ghosting?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by medicscott, Oct 20, 2009.

1. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

hey everyone...so i just bought a new macbook, and i already own a imac.

my question is...is there a program that i can obtain to keep my macbook and imac the same? sorta like norton ghost i guess? thanks!

2. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

I'm actually looking for a solution exactly like yours. Other than putting everything on an external HD and copying it over to the same places, I have found no good solutions. I have 3 flash drives I've popped into a hub and then into my Airport, and that lets me swap stuff fast and wireless, but it's slow. The HD requires cables, and I'm just plain lazy. MobileMe would take care of my Bookmarks, iCal, and Address Book, which is what takes me the most time, but even that I can do now for free. I would LOVE a single solution... Sorry I don't really have a good one for you now.

I almost considered reinstalling Leopard on both of the machines and giving them the same info and shortname, but I'm not sure if even this will work, and is still not much different than my current solution. When I do a lot of stuff on one computer, every now and then just restore the other one from the backup of the first, but eh...

3. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

The best solution I have found is a program called Carbon Copy Cloner - I use it to periodically restore some of My Macs to an original state and also keep my PowerBook and PowerMac in sync :) - Only thing is it takes as long as Ghost....

4. medicscott thread starter macrumors 6502a

medicscott

i was told to use 'migration assistant' which comes with every mac. well after 1 hour, i realized it wasnt doing anything. i just transfered over everything manually. still love apple