ghostly image on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cuestakid, Sep 8, 2008.

1. cuestakid macrumors 68000

there is some kind of ghostly mark on my MBP when off-it almost looks like a very faded Apple Logo-I just noticed this this morning when I woke up and went to turn on the screen. I thought it may have been a smuge but it is not The machine boots up fine and works perfectly but I would like to know what I can do- I have attached an image

Attached Files:

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Um here's a test, cover the apple logo on the other side of the display with something opaque, and check to see if the 'ghostly mark' is still there. The backwards apple logo you see when your screen is off is most likely due to light filtering through the Apple logo on the other side. ;)

3. Cadium macrumors member

Mind you that shouldn't happen, I would definitely recommend calling AppleCare about this... could be some sort of problem with the back-lighting of the display which could lead to more problems.

4. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

5. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

well I tried RAIDs test-i covered the other side of the screen and it did go away-I also tried physically moving the computer and that did it but after hearing Cadium I may call Apple-would this be covered under apple care?

6. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

With the display on... maybe (depends on what the screen is supposted to be displaying and the intensity of the light behind the MBP) if the thing is off (like the OP described) it's completely normal.

7. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

how are you sure that this is normal?

8. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Considering mine does it as well .... damn sure.

If you've ever looked inside of a display, the only thing between the LCD back and the clear apple on the outside of the display is a white filter. Light could VERY EASILY show through the screen. Try a flashlight or bright window. Why do you think it lights up when the display is on?

9. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Mine does it as well, even with the screen turned on - given the light behind it is strong enough.

10. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

It's light coming through the white apple on the back.
    That's how it lights up when it's on. If light can come out of the apple it can go through it too. take your laptop outside and you'll see it really strongly.

It's normal.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

C'mon people! Use your heads!!! It's a ghost, for cryin' out loud! :D

12. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

glad to know its normal and I don't have to take it in as I thought the screen may have been damaged somehow.

Thanks everyone!

13. Icewind macrumors regular

Icewind

It's Normal...

When I read the title of this thread, I had visions of evil/ghostly apparitions appearing on the MBP display (like those in the film White Noise http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375210/ ) :D

But trust me... the faint image you're seeing is just light coming through the Apple logo. I have a 3 year old Powerbook G4 and a new MBP and if I shine a torch from behind at the Apple logo, the light diffuses through to the front and shows as a diffused Apple logo.

Absolutely nothing to worry about.

14. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

yep. apple logo is lit by the LCD's backlight, so its going to shine through. Take a flashlight and hold it behind the apple. ;)