GhostNet - Largest cyber spying network ever to be uncovered (country penetration)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by AppleMatt, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

First reaction: profound surprise. Too much like something from a political espionage movie come to life. And the idea that they might've been able to activate computers' webcams and microphones is downright creepy.

Second reaction: yeah, there's no proof the Chinese government was involved, but really, isn't that the first thing you think when you read the article?

Third reaction: I wonder if the hacked computers were running an OS made by a company in Redmond? ;)

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Same. I just thought, "Dodgy Chinese government bastards". :rolleyes:

However, my third reaction was.......
    .........Barbados? :p

3. snberk103 macrumors 603

Rum Recipe..... :D

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Come on, do the Chinese need off-shore banking? :confused:

They're Chinese. They love to cheat the system a bit. :p Heck, that's why it's so nice to have (very) low income tax in Hong Kong despite the relatively high salaries that they would probably like to tax. There's no need to cheat the system if taxes are low. They've accounted for behaviour. ;)

Taxes for the rest of China are also not particularly high. Plus things can be quite cheap.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Who said anything about needing??

They could also be there for forensic purposes.

7. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

Its not a huge surprise, but i think thats because i watch too many movies...

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well then you'd think that all Russians are evil. ;) I remember that as a kid (in the '80s and 90s), every American movie involving some plot against the US government, or world domination involved the Russians. Of course, the good guys (i.e., the US of A, obviously :eek:) thwarted the evil Russians every time.

Now it's the Middle East that supplies all the bad guys for American films. The upcoming generation will surely never realize that Russians are all bad.....not like we do.

9. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

10. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Always love how China is the new Russia even though in 5000 years of existence they have never expanded there borders or given a rats about anyone but there selfs and building a wall to keep outsiders out.

11. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

i honestly used to think that too but the reality is they have serious population issues. way to many people for such a small country. I believe they actually have laws on how many children you can have.

so thier stance is rapidly changing on many issues.

12. yossim macrumors regular

yossim

I wonder if this "malware" affects mac's.......

13. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

By land mass they are not a small country, with comparison to India whom has a similar sized population but smaller land mass. And they do have laws on the number of children per family which i would love to see implemented world wide. We have far to large a population for such a small rock.
    The only thing that is changing is that there becoming a economic super power as is India and that is very much a worry for a certain western super power as it means having to compete on a equal footing with 2 other super powers that can grow and expand much faster.
    Were going to get all the scare mongering to make sure China remains open for attack under the "Axes of oil" campaign, and in a short time ether military action or economic sanctions will be placed on China under the guise of liberating the people.

14. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't the occupation of Tibet count as expanding their borders? And how about Taiwan?