Ghosts?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Koodauw, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Recently we moved into a new apartment. When we toured the unit there was a smell in the apt like someone had smoked in it. We asked them to take care of that, along with some other things. They painted the whole unit, replaced carpeting in the master bedroom and living and put an Ozenator in the apt to get rid of the smell. We still get the smell randomly from time to time. We assumed it was due to dust in the duct worked that had absorbed the smoke, or something like that. Either way it was bearable but comes and goes randomly.

Anyways, tonight I was listening to some music via my iPod Hifi and my roommate was sitting in the living room on the couch. We heard a door slam in the master bedroom and went to investigate. I opened the door and found nothing unusual as we did have two windows opposite the door open. My roommate made a comment about how she thought the place could be haunted. I asked her why, as it had never crossed my mind.

She mentioned a trip to the landlords office once when we were inquiring about mounting a satellite dish. The Landlord had to contact the owner to make sure it was ok to mount the dish into a post. She referred to our place somewhat awkwardly say it was "peron's name old unit." My roommate said she felt something bad had happened to the guy.

Well I remembered we had a piece of junk mail that had his name on it. So I googled his name. (bad idea) Turns out he had pasted away peacefully in his sleep in his apartment that we now occupy. We are assuming in the master bedroom. From the time frame of when we moved , it looks like his wife had moved out with a weeks time of his death.

None of the events by themselves are really out of the ordinary but all of them put together gets us thinking about paranormal activity. He was rather young, in his late 50's. I am not a huge believer in ghosts, but I don't think I want to meet on either. I find it weird that someone died in our apartment. I know its a natural part of life, but it still creeps me out a bit. We are thinking of talking to the landlord about switching to a different unit if possible. We were just getting settled in too.

What do you think?

2. Nieval macrumors 6502

While in university, the dorm i stayed in was haunted and i can honestly say that, after the initial fright, you get used to it. Not saying that your unit is, but just saying that it's not all that bad.
    On the other hand, If the idea of a past death is bugging you (so much that you can't find a way to overcome it) then i would leave, if you can't be comfortable in your own home then it kinda loses its purpose.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You can rest assured that ghosts simply do not exist, and there's absolutely no evidence that should make you think otherwise.

4. Nieval macrumors 6502

Where i come from, things other than ghost can haunt homes.

5. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

One thing is certain:

1) We will all die.
    2) Most of us who die will have had a place of residence at the time of our death.

If you want to find an apartment or house which never had someone who died there, good luck. Your chances of finding such a place will decrease with every passing second.

Personally, I do believe in an after life, though I cannot give you a good description of what I believe it is, but I still do not believe in ghosts.

If ghosts existed, they would be far more mentioned in books, movies, media, and popular literature, to name a very few.

There would be ghost teachers, celebrities, florists, delivery people, lawyers, doctors, network administrators, chefs, massage experts, and dog walkers. Ghosts would come from every background and if left behind so to speak, I believe they would stay within their areas of expertise like anybody else being trapped on this earth plane. I would think they would be far more visible if they existed in our dimension. At the same time, at least one, if not many, would make a valiant effort to communicate with the living and not keep it "a secret" for a select few to know. And who would qualify as those select few to know of their existence in this crowded information age?

You probably do not have ghosts.

6. dylangurl21 macrumors regular

Ok, so how about the phenomenon of Dark matter Eric? 90% of the matter in the universe can't be explained, but has to be there because of orbit patterns? Not that that is exact evidence for ghosts, but at the same time, there are things that we definitely do not have the capacity to explain.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

That's not a very good analogy.

Paranormal activity is fundamentally problematic to detect because by its very definition, it has no standard physical mark.

More importantly, nothing in the OP's story points to paranormal activity (the window was open, and smoke frequently emanates from previously unknown or forgotten sources).

The OP is likely aggregating circumstantial instances (which aren't too unusual to begin with) and allowing them to combine with a natural fear of death. Most people would be scared in that situation, and I think that that's what's at play here.

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

OK, would you prefer spirit? Apparition? Phantom? Presence? Poltergeist? ...They're all the same in my book. There's absolutely no evidence in support of such paranormal or supernatural activity. I'd bet you $1,000,000 but it's already been done.

Dark matter doesn't interact with the electromagnetic spectrum, meaning it doesn't interact via any means other than gravity. In other words, if you can see it (such as an apparition) or feel it (such as a cold spot), it's not dark matter. Additionally, ghosts couldn't selectively use gravity to perform their mischief, as the mass required to rock a rocking chair, for example, would also bend walls and collapse ceilings.

Therefore, ghosts ≠ dark matter.

Besides, that logic is based on a logical fallacy. Just because we don't understand every aspect of the universe, doesn't mean ghosts exist.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've seen some very odd things around my place, but yours doesn't sound like ghosts. Whatever they really are.

Every member of my family and the people who've stayed here have all seen silent figures move round the house, have heard doors slam or random banging noises on walls, seen little squiggly bits move along walls, seen strange lights. It's all a bit spooky.

10. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I've had a few "ghostly" experiences, even caught a moving figure shaped shadow on my camcorder while staying in one of Irelands most haunted houses. (Castle Leslie in County Monaghan) .. :eek:

Many people in Ireland believe in ghosts, and not just after a few pints of Guinness .. :eek:

11. Nieval macrumors 6502

I'm Irish but studied medicine in my home country Sudan which is infamous for these sorts of things. Anything you could possibly imagine happened, i remember waking up one night and finding that the living room carpet was on fire but the furniture and various papers spread out over it were perfectly fine. I woke up my room-mate and then we watched it burn and float in the air for an hour before the fire died.

We call them "Jin" in the Arabic Language.

12. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

13. alFR macrumors 68020

I think a few coincidences are preying on your mind and making you unnecessarily nervous. Just get on with your life. :)

Well, I always thought Cleveland was weird. :)

Wow, that's weird. I suppose in that hour you just forgot to get a camera and take a picture of it, yeah? Forgive me if I'm a little skeptical about that one. :rolleyes:

14. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

The smoke could be 'slipping ' through cracks etc , ie: coming from another apartment in the building which has a smoker in it ...its like water really , gets everywhere through the smallest of spaces.

Door slam , I don't know really , sometimes changes in atmospheric pressure etc could cause something like that .

I do think that you are unduly worrying .

If someone where a previous owner/tenant & died in one's home that would set most any ones mind racing with thought's of the paranormal.

Although , way too many dismiss this sort of thing and like to have everything packed nicely into little boxes in there mind so to speak ,it's a psychological control/safety thing , so if there is not a book or website somewhere saying that some 'official' research has been done and proves a particular concept or whatever ..then they will not believe it , shame really .
    Trouble is , much is unexplained , yet still occurs with or without proof , just because we don't understand , does not mean it is not true .

OP , I don't think you have a 'ghost ' , 'jin' , 'dajall' or whatever in your home , this is a mind racing imho ....chill man !, say a few words in the rooms that freak you out , sounds crazy but talk in the room , to the 'spirit ' and well say something like you mean no harm etc .... Might make you feel better ,get it all out ....it's all about energy ;) see how it go's

After this if your still not comfortable , move .

good luck

15. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

You should call up TAPS and have them investigate your apartment for an episode of Ghosthunters :p

On another somewhat related note, when I was about 13 my parents decided to remodel our house a bit. When they tore down the wallpaper in the hallway, they discovered a stain that was in the shape of an angel. It was very obvious what it looked like, and it definitely was the result of some kind of stain (i.e., not painted onto the wall). Not that it really means anything, but it's just one of those things that makes you stop and wonder.

16. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

"Rational thought" and "ghosts" should never occupy the same thread. Isn't that in the users agreement we all signed? :)
    Same goes for flying saucers, the loch ness monster, sasquatch, yeti, god, the jersey devil, the bermuda triangle, faster than light travel, atlantis, and the cubs in the world series.

17. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

What would REALLY be cool is if the stain were an exact representation of James Dobson.
    I'm looking for the series of articles on "chance" that explains these types of events as "likely" given enough time. Given enough time, say, by toasting 1 billion slices of bread, sooner or later you'll get a pattern of something familiar. And we toast a LOT of bread in this country.

18. djellison macrumors 68020

I think you're taking entirely unconnected events, linking them together, and making something up based on popular mythology.

19. dylangurl21 macrumors regular

I feel like you take my point out of context. I did not say that dark matter=ghosts. The point was that there are many things we do not completely understand and cannot completely explain. I feel like because of this, it is very hard to completely deny something like ghosts or god or anything else of that nature.

Does it not fall back to the age old questions of why do we exist and does life have meaning?

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I understand that if you can see it, it's not dark matter. However, touching something has nothing to do with the EM spectrum.

And besides, he never said that ghosts were dark matter. He was trying to illustrate that there are lots of things which humans do not understand, or have much reason to believe is true, and yet we do anyway. The fact that scientists believe there is dark matter is only because they can't account for all the matter (that they think is) in the universe. Regardless of whether their estimate is very wrong or not, doesn't mean there's dark matter. All the evidence of dark matter is indirect, much like witnesses of "ghostly behaviour".

Anyway, I think if someone is on a quest to find something, he can always find it. You see what you want to see. This applies for ghosts as much as it does for physics. I'm not interested in astrophysics whatsoever, but I've seen it far too many times in other areas of physics.

21. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I understand your point, I really do, but in science it simply isn't a valid argument. You need to support your claim with evidence, not denigrate science and claim it as proof of your hypothesis which otherwise cannot be proven.

For that you need to delve into the world of philosophy, not science. :)

When did I mention touching? However, feeling is very much related to the electromagnetic force. (In fact, virtually every force encountered in daily life, with the exception of gravity, can be attributed to the electromagnetic force.)

The evidence for dark matter is very direct. Just because we cannot see it, doesn't mean we can't see its gravitational effects on the surrounding area. Ghosts are different, in that their effects can be otherwise better explained through natural and proven means, without resorting to the paranormal or supernatural.