Ghz or GB more important?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by makefunnyfaces, Jun 11, 2012.

1. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I'm going to get the Retina display MacBook Pro for college, and I need some advice on how to spend my money.

What I need:
    Computer to last me at least four years without getting -too- slow

I was going to get the 2.3ghz with 16gb memory or the 2.6ghz with 8gb memory. It's hard for me to justify ponying up $2,600 for the latter, but if that's what it takes to make my computer run tip top for at least four years, I'm willing to do it. Or do I even need to? Will the 2.3 with 16gb last if I'm just writing papers, doing research, and searching the web?

Thanks so much for the input!

2. Swain macrumors member

Looking at the fact that the RAM is not upgradeable, I'd say 16 GB Ram>2.3Ghz

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Seconded on going with 16GB of memory.

A 2.3Ghz Ivy Bridge quad core processor is a very fast processor and should last a long time, especially for the tasks you listed (it's actually overkill for the things you list). Software is always using more memory however. Going with 16GB should keep it feeling fast even after several major OS versions come and go.

4. stevelam macrumors 65816

i'm sorry but you are not going to see ANY performance difference going from 8 to 16 gb ram if all you're doing is surfing the web and writing papers.

5. makefunnyfaces thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the answers, guys. Looks like 2.3 with 16 it is!

6. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Don't forget to factor in the 512GB drive that comes with the high trim model though.

7. makefunnyfaces thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey! Another question: How am I supposed to put Microsoft Office on it with no optical drive?! :p

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040