GHz, RAM, HD decisions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by njeffress, Aug 25, 2009.

1. njeffress macrumors newbie

so i'm looking into buying a new laptop, and i can't decide what the best for my money will be. i'm typically more than a casual computer user (my page ratio is 3.25:1 right now), and i can't decide which features are really going to benefit me. i understand i'm going to make upgrades after i get a system (just purchased RAM upgrades for my iMac that i'm waiting for), but which startup would be the best. i'm trying to be somewhat economical, but don't wanna get something that will be outdated in 6mo- i've done that too often. any buying advice would help!

currently considering

MacBook 13.3, 2.13GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB Serial ATA ($949)
    MacBook 13.3, 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB Serial ATA ($999 refurb)
    MacBook Pro 13.3, 2.26GHz, 2GB RAM, 160 Serial ATA ($1099)
    MacBook Pro 13.3, 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250 Serial ATA ($1399)

best value? will i notice processor speed differences that are so small?

2. Apocrathia macrumors 6502

in all honesty, ram is a null spec to take into consideration, apple overcharges for ram, and you can buy 4gb of ddr3 for less than $100 now. same goes for the hard drive. what you really want to focus on is not only processor speed, but the graphics chipset. the cheaper macbook would be your best bet, you can toss 4gb ram & a 7200rpm 250gb hdd in there for less that $200.
    best thing to take into consideration there is, what would you need really heavy hardware for? do you game? do you do media production? development? etc...