GI Joe

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Signal-11, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Just watched this movie with a couple of younger relatives.

Once you understand that this is not so much a military/thriller movie so much as a live action sci-fi cartoon, it's a blast. Lots of fun and more than a couple funny moments. Plenty of shoutouts and inside jokes to the older fans, if you're about my age and grew up watching the old GI Joe cartoons, played with the action figures, and collected the comics.

My guess is that the movie critics are just too old to appreciate this kind of thing.

2. Sir SpemzR macrumors 6502

Im not that old (18) but i remember playing with the action figures, reading the comics, watching the cartoons, heck i even MADE my 8yr old nephew get into G.I. Joe and he loved it (for the past year) as soon as he saw the previews and snake eyes looked all stupid he didnt even want to go watch the movie.

I went to watch it and they killed it with the character they got for Duke, cmon
    now thats the guy from "Step Up" Dancer to G.I Joe wow.
    WOW and the damn Wayans brother, as soon as i saw him on the previews i knew they murdered the G.I. Joe memories...

I went to go see it at Midnight on Thurs and i hated the damn movie, made me feels as if i was watching Spy Kids...

I didnt expect it to me and action army movie...i know how G.I Joe is but cmon this movie sucked even the GUI effects sucked like in the beginning with the helicopters...they looked like graphics from a video game

Movie Sucked. imHo

3. sthursby macrumors member

4. Badradio macrumors 6502

Don't badmouth the Spy Kids, dude. Not the first one anyway...

5. Sir SpemzR macrumors 6502

Haha I didnt badmouth em but i truly dont think G.I. Joe should look like that movie

6. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Not a big G.I. Joe fan, but I'll probably see it if for no other reason then Channing Tatum shirtless! He is HOT!! :D

7. TeamRetic macrumors newbie

TeamRetic

I went to see the movie and I loved it. I was a tomboy when I was a kid and played with the GI Joe action figures. I love the movie because all the cool technology in it and the action, plus it is base on a cartoon I use to saw when growing up.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

It's odd...I saw this movie and have no compunction saying that it was, on many levels, quite bad.

Nevertheless, I quite enjoyed it. It think being old enough to remember the cartoon helped - as if you look at the movie as being a distillation of cheesy 80's cartoon-world (updated) - it was kinda well done.

I kinda hope it does well, as I wouldn't mind this being a franchise - there is a wealth of mythos to work with, and at least with this movie - they adapted things pretty well.

Still, not making any personal top 10 lists or anything...

I did not generally treat the Transformers movies as charitably, nor find them as enjoyable.

9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

SPOILER ALERT

I thought the exploding ice cap complete with sinking ice was a bit much. Some of the acting and special effects were poorly done. At one point, some of the effects were so poorly done it reminded me of the plane crash in Harrison Ford's "Air Force One."

I enjoyed the movie for what it is. I grew up with the cartoon, so I wasn't expecting a rich or deep storyline. It's G.I. Joe. However, the interlocking plot between characters (the Baroness being Duke's ex-fiance, Rex being the Baroness' brother who Duke failed to save in combat in addition to Cobra Commander, etc) all seemed a little too together and was different from the cartoon series.

I would say the film was aimed at the pre-teen crowd, but yet it's rated PG-13.

10. Signal-11 thread starter macrumors 65816

Signal-11

It's based more on the comic books than on the cartoon series.

11. boast macrumors 65816

boast

does Joseph Gordon-Levitt play a major role in the film?

12. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

If you don't have this in mind, then yeah, it's a very bad movie (otherwise I probably would've liked this movie). It's clear this isn't Transformers but some scenes that could've just be filmed they did in CGI, like, for instance, a single overhead shot of a van.

Oh, and, ice tends to float.

13. Signal-11 thread starter macrumors 65816

Signal-11

You guys have a pretty high expectation of Hollywood. When I shell out $50 bucks for a night at the movies for a film based on a comic book which was based on a cartoon which in turn was based on a toy made for 8 year old boys, this is more or less exactly what I expect to see.

Steel doesn't. Did you guys miss the part where there's also a network of tunnels and structures in the icepack? Probably not enough, but it was enough justification for me to set my unbelief meter back to zero. Besides, the good guys and the bad guys just had a giant space battle underwater.