GIANT security flaw in OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by X-X, Sep 22, 2014.

1. X-X macrumors 6502

With all the talk lately about iOS and iCloud security, I ask myself WHY is OS X still so insecure.

99% of users think their Mac is password protected, when actually you can reset that password without any tools or knowledge in under 1 minute and get into everyones Mac.

Unless you have FileVault activated which nobody does.

Sure you could also directly access the hard drive but I think being able to log in is even more disconcerting.

It's time to activate FileVault by default, iOS does it too.

2. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

I agree it should be fully encrypted by default, but I think Apple doesn't do it because people would complain about losing their data.

3. satcomer, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

All you kids think just encrytion is the way to go and you have no idea about proper security in today's traveling security! Today in America any encrypted volumes at checkpoints you are by law required to give up the password for that encrytion! So in real life not to secure.

What you really want is plausible deniability using some Espionage. This way when you go through a check point you can act like a n00b and to the agent you look like a new install on your Mac.

4. X-X thread starter macrumors 6502

That is complete nonsense.

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I guess you never traveled with tech through the border or been caught up in a suspension sweep by police. Then you will understand!

Don't believe me the read the Wiki article Border search exception. :rolleyes:

6. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

That only allows them to take your laptop and search through it without a warrant, and only at the borders. It does not allow them to compel you to give them the password should the laptop or a volume on it be encrypted. That would be testifying against yourself, which you cannot be forced to do.

You can be forced to hand over evidence, but not testimony. Courts have held numerous times that the contents of your mind are testimony, thus making it illegal to demand a password. Should you write it down on a physical slip of paper, the paper becomes evidence, since it is no longer a content of your mind and you CAN be required to turn over that paper.

This is an excellent video that explains the topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibQGWXfWc7c

7. satcomer, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Yes you are correct. However the dowager in the video even said if they have a reason they can image your computer and work on that image leisurely. What I posted was to encrypt and HIDE the data yo make you look like a N00b and not given them a reason to suspect you. If you want some suspicion at the checkpoint then have an encrypted volume visable to the searcher! :eek:

Plus you video presenter urged people not to take electronics across a border. This way you don't have go through all the hassle at the checkpoint.